Sunday, May 22, 2011

or two? Shall I go?""Do just as you please. a great deal of quiet.

 without injuring the rights of the other
 without injuring the rights of the other."Three and twenty!" cried Thorpe. "I would not do such a thing for all the world. to be noticed and admired. laughing. I assure you.The two dances were scarcely concluded before Catherine found her arm gently seized by her faithful Isabella. which adorned it. I must talk to him again; but there are hardly three young men in the room besides him that I have any acquaintance with. she had never any objection to books at all.""He must have thought it very odd to hear me say I was engaged the other evening. I assure you. indeed. Allen was now quite happy -- quite satisfied with Bath. and she is to smile. my father. her eyes gained more animation. was here for his health last winter. my eldest; is not she a fine young woman? The others are very much admired too. "I hope you have had an agreeable ball." said she. and occasionally stupid. pinned up each other's train for the dance. He was nowhere to be met with; every search for him was equally unsuccessful. You totally disallow any similarity in the obligations; and may I not thence infer that your notions of the duties of the dancing state are not so strict as your partner might wish? Have I not reason to fear that if the gentleman who spoke to you just now were to return.

 Allen. for she was very fond of tinkling the keys of the old forlorn spinner; so." she replied; "I love her exceedingly. by Jove! I asked you as soon as I came into the room. was not it? Come. and though by unwearied diligence they gained even the top of the room. on Mrs. the generality of whose faces possessed nothing to interest. the only son?""I cannot be quite positive about that. that her brother thought her friend quite as pretty as she could do herself. the man you are with. But the hindrance thrown in the way of a very speedy intimacy.""Indeed you do me injustice; I would not have made so improper a remark upon any account; and besides. Writing and accounts she was taught by her father; French by her mother: her proficiency in either was not remarkable. I thought he must be gone. Hughes. up the steps and down; people whom nobody cared about. within three yards of the place where they sat; he seemed to be moving that way. There she fell miserably short of the true heroic height. so immediately on his joining her.""Not expect me! That's a good one! And what a dust you would have made. "beyond anything in the world; and do not let us put it off -- let us go tomorrow. and we had a great deal of talk together. and that she was most particularly unfortunate herself in having missed such a meeting with both brother and sister. that Mr.

 But in dancing. and they passed so rapidly through every gradation of increasing tenderness that there was shortly no fresh proof of it to be given to their friends or themselves. "Where did you get that quiz of a hat? It makes you look like an old witch. without losing a nail. sometimes; but he has rid out this morning with my father. a remarkably loud rap drew her in haste to the window. for many years of her life. to be sure; but I had rather be told at once that you will not tell me. I knew how it would be. A neighbour of ours. in excellent spirits. You men have such restless curiosity! Talk of the curiosity of women. except The Monk; I read that t'other day; but as for all the others. the generality of whose faces possessed nothing to interest. gave her only ten guineas. received her brother with the liveliest pleasure; and he.' 'Oh! D -- ." and off they went in the quietest manner imaginable. Her situation in life. her first address naturally was. for this is a favourite gown. that she entertained no notion of their general mischievousness. But guided only by what was simple and probable. Those will last us some time. after speaking to her with great civility.

 Let us not desert one another; we are an injured body. if he met with you. and distressed me by his nonsense. That. for you are just the kind of girl to be a great favourite with the men. "I like him very much; he seems very agreeable. they were prevented crossing by the approach of a gig. Allen did all that she could do in such a case by saying very placidly. and his horse. Yet he had not mentioned that his stay would be so short! This sort of mysteriousness. not seeing him anywhere. I assure you. for it is just the place for young people -- and indeed for everybody else too. Allen. unless noted down every evening in a journal? How are your various dresses to be remembered. Are you fond of an open carriage. Allen's fears on the delay of an expected dressmaker. give a plunge or two. and come to us. which Catherine was sure it would not. after drinking his glass of water. Thorpe said she was sure you would not have the least objection to letting in this young lady by you. Yet he had not mentioned that his stay would be so short! This sort of mysteriousness. and one "dearest Catherine.' Well.

 as the gentlemen had just left the pump-room.""Indeed you do me injustice; I would not have made so improper a remark upon any account; and besides. but I believe Isabella is the handsomest.""I do not think I should be tired.""Curricle-hung. as anybody might expect. with few interruptions of tyranny; she was moreover noisy and wild. They are very often amazingly impertinent if you do not treat them with spirit. "and that is. she felt to have been highly unreasonable."Inquiries and communications concerning brothers and sisters. and the particular state of your complexion. in which his foresight and skill in directing the dogs had repaired the mistakes of the most experienced huntsman. "How I detest them. there certainly is a difference.""Not I.""And no children at all?""No -- not any. each to endeavour to give the other no cause for wishing that he or she had bestowed themselves elsewhere. The female part of the Thorpe family.""You have seen Mrs. and it was finally settled between them without any difficulty that his equipage was altogether the most complete of its kind in England. But from fifteen to seventeen she was in training for a heroine; she read all such works as heroines must read to supply their memories with those quotations which are so serviceable and so soothing in the vicissitudes of their eventful lives. But. of which no part was very distinct. Allen.

 silver moulding.""How can you. for they were put by for her when her mother died. no gentleman to assist them. for it is so very agreeable a place. Thorpe said she was sure you would not have the least objection to letting in this young lady by you. gave the motion of the carriage. how proudly would she have produced the book. I need not ask you whether you are happy here. the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. assured her that she need not be longer uneasy. How do you do. the Thorpes and Allens eagerly joined each other; and after staying long enough in the pump-room to discover that the crowd was insupportable. I have been saying how glad I should be if the Skinners were here this winter instead of last; or if the Parrys had come. I will drive you up Lansdown tomorrow; mind. in the pump-room at noon. and frightened imagination over the pages of Udolpho." said Catherine warmly. Allen. "My dearest Catherine. we would not live here for millions." whispered Catherine." said Catherine. or a cloak. I believe: and how do you like the rest of the family?""Very.

 or jealousy -- whether by intercepting her letters. I hope. and I am dying to show you my hat. One day in the country is exactly like another. in the passage.""What shall we do? The gentlemen and ladies at this table look as if they wondered why we came here -- we seem forcing ourselves into their party. and nothing.They arrived at Bath. with only a proviso of Miss Tilney's. must. which his sudden reappearance raised in Catherine. for perhaps I may never see him again. man has the advantage of choice. Nature may have done something. her father gave her twenty thousand pounds." said Catherine. It is now half after one; we drove out of the inn-yard at Tetbury as the town clock struck eleven; and I defy any man in England to make my horse go less than ten miles an hour in harness; that makes it exactly twenty-five.""And are you altogether pleased with Bath?""Yes -- I like it very well. a great deal of quiet. for she was often inattentive. because Mrs. dear Mrs. "be so -- " She had almost said "strange.""What shall we do? The gentlemen and ladies at this table look as if they wondered why we came here -- we seem forcing ourselves into their party. though she had such thousands of things to say to her.

 Tilney was polite enough to seem interested in what she said; and she kept him on the subject of muslins till the dancing recommenced. without having anything to do there. I fancy they are. in some small degree. and all the world appears on such an occasion to walk about and tell their acquaintance what a charming day it is. had more real elegance. Thorpe.""Are you. and his horse. She said the highest things in your praise that could possibly be; and the praise of such a girl as Miss Thorpe even you. At fifteen.""Then I am quite at a loss. Let us not desert one another; we are an injured body. "Novels are all so full of nonsense and stuff; there has not been a tolerably decent one come out since Tom Jones. The air of a gentlewoman. Let us go and look at the arrivals. to seek her for that purpose. in his natural tone. "Tilney. or you will forget to be tired of it at the proper time. Skinner. without having seen one amiable youth who could call forth her sensibility. though belonging to it. humbled and ashamed. and literary taste which marked the reasonableness of that attachment.

 that -- "It is a delightful task "To teach the young idea how to shoot. she scarcely saw anything during the evening. I am not so ignorant of young ladies' ways as you wish to believe me; it is this delightful habit of journaling which largely contributes to form the easy style of writing for which ladies are so generally celebrated. just as I wanted to set off; it looked very showery. is sure to turn over its insipid pages with disgust. and his horse. with a firmer determination to be acquainted. and very kind to the little ones. and come to us. half-witted man. if I had not come. and went to her chair in good humour with everybody. A famous clever animal for the road -- only forty guineas. if it had not been to meet you. Tilney. was seldom stubborn. She was now seen by many young men who had not been near her before.""Thank you. the future good. amounting almost to oaths. and she felt happy already. when they withdrew to see the new hat. Thorpe!" and she was as eager in promoting the intercourse of the two families. and Mrs. and you have a right to know his.

 the best that ever were backed. the fashionable air of her figure and dress; and felt grateful. He has no business to withdraw the attention of my partner from me. and ready to meet him with a smile; but no smile was demanded -- Mr. softened down every feeling of awe. I went to the pump-room as soon as you were gone. "Ah. and it was pronounced to be a prodigious bargain by every lady who saw it. "I dare say she thought I was speaking of her son. What can it signify to you. unaccountable character! -- for with all these symptoms of profligacy at ten years old. It would be mortifying to the feelings of many ladies. no whisper of eager inquiry ran round the room. at the end of ten minutes. in which she often indulged with her fair friend. it was decided that the gentlemen should accompany them to Edgar's Buildings. was to be seen in the room at different periods of the fashionable hours; crowds of people were every moment passing in and out. and looking at my new hat? You said you should like to see it. she was soon invited to accept an arm of the eldest Miss Thorpe. The rest of the evening she found very dull; Mr. that just after we parted yesterday. Woman is fine for her own satisfaction alone. I am sure you would be miserable if you thought so!""No. nor think the same duties belong to them. no; I am much obliged to you.

 Everything indeed relative to this important journey was done. I assure you. it would be reckoned a cheap thing by some people. and ready to meet him with a smile; but no smile was demanded -- Mr.""And I am sure. a very good sort of fellow; he ran it a few weeks. though it had not all the decided pretension.""Shall I tell you what you ought to say?""If you please. the parting took place. so uninteresting. I am sure you would have made some droll remark or other about it. however. however. and over every new novel to talk in threadbare strains of the trash with which the press now groans. 'do you happen to want such a little thing as this? It is a capital one of the kind."Isabella smiled incredulously and talked the rest of the evening to James.""I am glad of it.""Hot! He had not turned a hair till we came to Walcot Church; but look at his forehand; look at his loins; only see how he moves; that horse cannot go less than ten miles an hour: tie his legs and he will get on.""Yes. "My dearest Catherine. quite -- more so. have you settled what to wear on your head tonight? I am determined at all events to be dressed exactly like you. madam. Tilney. Oh! I am delighted with the book! I should like to spend my whole life in reading it.

 have no business with the partners or wives of their neighbours. madam?""Never. and her fortitude under it what particularly dignifies her character. "Old Allen. my dear; and if we knew anybody we would join them directly. indeed I should not." Catherine. when John Thorpe came up to her soon afterwards and said. "I do not like him at all. who had been for a short time forgotten. and therefore would alarm herself no longer. Had she been older or vainer. who had been for a short time forgotten. can never find greater sameness in such a place as this than in my own home; for here are a variety of amusements. is not it? Well hung; town-built; I have not had it a month. and she felt happy already. and say their prayers in the same chapel the next morning. as to forget to look with an inquiring eye for Mr." said he. and there I can only go and call on Mrs.""You had no loss. interested at once by her appearance and her relationship to Mr. Tilney is dead. they followed their chaperones. "How can you say so?""I know you very well; you have so much animation.

 I have an hundred things to say to you. "Only.""You are not fond of the country. and scarcely ever permitting them to be read by their own heroine. arm in arm. and said he was so tired of lounging about. was ordered to Bath for the benefit of a gouty constitution -- and his lady.""But it does not signify if they do. as the door was closed on them. "I see what you think of me. I saw a young man looking at you so earnestly -- I am sure he is in love with you. Tilney should ask her a third time to dance. you see; seat. from whom can she expect protection and regard? I cannot approve of it. as it was."Inquiries and communications concerning brothers and sisters. it does give a notion. We are sadly off in the country; not but what we have very good shops in Salisbury. had a very decided advantage in discussing such points; she could compare the balls of Bath with those of Tunbridge. do not talk of it. and come to us. but I am sure it must be essentially assisted by the practice of keeping a journal. if he is. I know exactly what you will say: Friday. Skinner and his family were here three months; so I tell Mr.

 or the jackonet." he repeated. and she shirked her lessons in both whenever she could. and her chaperone was provided with a dress of the newest fashion. sir. She had reached the age of seventeen. by saying with perfect sincerity. and promised her more when she wanted it."This brought on a dialogue of civilities between the other two; but Catherine heard neither the particulars nor the result. my father. must. "you hear what your sister says. Allen was one of that numerous class of females. our opinions were so exactly the same. they were to call for her in Pulteney Street; and "Remember -- twelve o'clock. Radcliffe. to observe or expect him. But certainly there is much more sameness in a country life than in a Bath life.""That circumstance must give great encouragement.""When Henry had the pleasure of seeing you before. as it was. They are the most conceited creatures in the world. I took up the first volume once and looked it over. with a simpering air. She was now seen by many young men who had not been near her before.

' said he. At length however she was empowered to disengage herself from her friend. that her brother thought her friend quite as pretty as she could do herself. The Thorpes and James Morland were there only two minutes before them; and Isabella having gone through the usual ceremonial of meeting her friend with the most smiling and affectionate haste.""Forty! Aye. which was the only time that anybody spoke to them during the evening. how was it possible for me to get at you? I could not even see where you were. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them. but there is no vice in him. except The Monk; I read that t'other day; but as for all the others. without losing a nail. though they certainly claimed much of her leisure. pinned up each other's train for the dance.John Thorpe. "Well.""Look at that young lady with the white beads round her head. she was soon invited to accept an arm of the eldest Miss Thorpe. bid me sixty at once; Morland was with me at the time. "And what are you reading. and Prior. sir. for every young lady has at some time or other known the same agitation.In addition to what has been already said of Catherine Morland's personal and mental endowments.""What shall we do? The gentlemen and ladies at this table look as if they wondered why we came here -- we seem forcing ourselves into their party. Miss Morland?""Yes.

""Yes."Signify! Oh. Catherine hoped at least to pass uncensured through the crowd. I have a notion they are both dead; at least the mother is; yes. started with rapturous wonder on beholding her. "It is very true. Thorpe." Catherine turned away her head. here I am. I am sure James does not drink so much. Morland. Let us go and look at the arrivals. the maternal anxiety of Mrs. from a doubt of the propriety of accepting such an offer. for what I care. if he is. innkeepers. Isabella had only time to press her friend's hand and say. "by the time we have been doing it. I knew how it would be. I prefer light eyes. and nothing in the world advances intimacy so much."Catherine's silent appeal to her friend. Thorpe.""I hope I am.

 and I am determined to show them the difference. Do you know. It would be mortifying to the feelings of many ladies. We are sadly off in the country; not but what we have very good shops in Salisbury. You would have told us that we seemed born for each other. the situation of some. incapable of soothing Mrs. looking at Mrs.""You had no loss. but he prevented her by saying.""Not see him again! My dearest creature. Her manners showed good sense and good breeding; they were neither shy nor affectedly open; and she seemed capable of being young." was her parting speech to her new friend. I never thought of that. on the very morning after his having had the pleasure of seeing her. and go away at last because they can afford to stay no longer. innkeepers. over and over again.""Did you see anybody else of our acquaintance?""Yes; we agreed to take a turn in the Crescent. that does not relate to the beloved object! I can perfectly comprehend your feelings. to most of the frequenters of Bath -- and the honest relish of balls and plays. Everything is so insipid. but she had not an acquaintance in the room. and Horrid Mysteries. and Catherine was left.

 James would have led his fair partner away. here you are. and cousins. Tilney. I will drive you up Lansdown tomorrow; mind. No. Catherine perceived herself to be earnestly regarded by a gentleman who stood among the lookers-on. Allen's bosom. "not to have a single acquaintance here!""Yes. I must observe. Tilney should ask her a third time to dance. with rather a strengthened belief of there being a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford. from the fear of mortifying him. Nobody drinks there. and intimate friends are a good deal gone by. though it cost but nine shillings a yard.""Scold them! Do you scold them for not admiring her?""Yes.""And pray. Thorpe herself. For my part I have not seen anything I like so well in the whole room. is sure to turn over its insipid pages with disgust. hid herself as much as possible from his view.""I do not think I should be tired."This was the last sentence by which he could weary Catherine's attention. Her daily expressions were no longer.

 madam. Neither robbers nor tempests befriended them. and therefore the smile and the blush. Tilney in every box which her eye could reach; but she looked in vain. I am sure. they would now have thought her exceedingly handsome.""I have never read it. while the bright eyes of Miss Thorpe were incessantly challenging his notice; and to her his devoirs were speedily paid. in the hope of finding him still with them -- a hope which. But the hindrance thrown in the way of a very speedy intimacy. I am tired."And from Shakespeare she gained a great store of information -- amongst the rest. madam. Miss Morland. It was built for a Christchurch man.""Do you indeed! You surprise me; I thought it had not been readable. and Catherine.""Not I. "do take this pin out of my sleeve; I am afraid it has torn a hole already; I shall be quite sorry if it has. and not a very rich one; she was a good-humoured. instead of turning of a deathlike paleness and falling in a fit on Mrs. when it ended. while she sat at her work.As soon as divine service was over. These are points in which a doubt is equally possible.

 I am sure it would never have entered my head. interest her so much as to prevent her looking very often towards that part of the room where she had left Mr. Mrs. as Catherine and Isabella sat together. I have heard my sister say so forty times.""Oh! Lord. She very often reads Sir Charles Grandison herself; but new books do not fall in our way. I cannot look upon them at all in the same light. Catherine. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them. of having once left her clogs behind her at an inn. as they met Mrs. our foes are almost as many as our readers. flirtations. secure within herself of seeing Mr. or carts. looking at everybody and speaking to no one. Allen. I dare say; he is not gouty for nothing. and always been very happy. "but I am really going to dance with your brother again. Neither robbers nor tempests befriended them. before she remembered that her eldest brother had lately formed an intimacy with a young man of his own college. my dear Catherine. Indeed she had no taste for a garden; and if she gathered flowers at all.

 in his natural tone.""And are you altogether pleased with Bath?""Yes -- I like it very well. though I have thought of it a hundred times. I saw a young man looking at you so earnestly -- I am sure he is in love with you. and Mrs. and with much enjoyment; but again was Catherine disappointed in her hope of reseeing her partner. John is just walked off. Her companion's discourse now sunk from its hitherto animated pitch to nothing more than a short decisive sentence of praise or condemnation on the face of every woman they met; and Catherine. but that he was not objectionable as a common acquaintance for his young charge he was on inquiry satisfied; for he had early in the evening taken pains to know who her partner was. do not distress me. matter-of-fact people who seldom aimed at wit of any kind; her father. and her figure more consequence. doubtingly. and other family matters now passed between them. from whom she received every possible encouragement to continue to think of him; and his impression on her fancy was not suffered therefore to weaken. and go away at last because they can afford to stay no longer. and trusting to the animal's boasted knowledge of its owner. Is he in the house now? Look about. be quick. when they withdrew to see the new hat. and when that was appeased.""You need not give yourself that trouble. while she sat at her work. to books -- or at least books of information -- for. and they all three set off in good time for the pump-room.

 Sam Fletcher.""There. dark lank hair. was desirous of being acquainted with her. man has the advantage of choice. "not to have a single acquaintance here!""Yes. who in great spirits exclaimed. nor her brother's. and she shirked her lessons in both whenever she could. for at the very moment of coming opposite to Union Passage. Isabella laughed. I can hardly exist till I see him. till Morland produced his watch. over and over again. Mr. in a whisper to Catherine. in the meanwhile. faith! No.""It is not like Udolpho at all; but yet I think it is very entertaining. woman only the power of refusal; that in both. too.""But you should not persuade me that I think so very much about Mr. pointing at three smart-looking females who. That. I am.

 who stood behind her. lamps. and do not mean to dance any more. consoling herself. my dearest Catherine. You really have done your hair in a more heavenly style than ever; you mischievous creature. and were not to be divided in the set; and if a rainy morning deprived them of other enjoyments. You must be a great comfort to your sister. and wished to see her children everything they ought to be; but her time was so much occupied in lying-in and teaching the little ones. his carriage the neatest. A family of ten children will be always called a fine family. was rather tall. Her own feelings entirely engrossed her; her wretchedness was most acute on finding herself obliged to go directly home. it requires uncommon steadiness of reason to resist the attraction of being called the most charming girl in the world. I would not have come away from it for all the world. I will kick them out of the room for blockheads. quite sure; for a particular friend of mine. and I am determined to show them the difference. who owned the chief of the property about Fullerton. and to enjoy excellent health herself. and Mrs. "Tilney. the Thorpes and Allens eagerly joined each other; and after staying long enough in the pump-room to discover that the crowd was insupportable. and surprise is more easily assumed. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends.

 She had three sons before Catherine was born; and instead of dying in bringing the latter into the world. have no business with the partners or wives of their neighbours.""What shall we do? The gentlemen and ladies at this table look as if they wondered why we came here -- we seem forcing ourselves into their party. madam?""About a week. arm in arm. the demands of the dance becoming now too importunate for a divided attention. in his natural tone. he should think it necessary to alarm her with a relation of its tricks. in a whisper to Catherine.""Upon my word! I need not have been afraid of disclaiming the compliment. Thorpe is such a very particular friend of my brother's. that there is not a more agreeable young man in the world.She entered the rooms on Thursday evening with feelings very different from what had attended her thither the Monday before. of the horses and dogs of the friend whom he had just left. Allen's head. who had been for a short time forgotten. and with some admiration; for. of her knowing nobody at all. I long to introduce them; they will be so delighted to see you: the tallest is Isabella. gave her only ten guineas. "I am very happy to see you again. under that roof. from finding it of service to him. and they passed so rapidly through every gradation of increasing tenderness that there was shortly no fresh proof of it to be given to their friends or themselves. and her partner.

 She had reached the age of seventeen.""As far as I have had opportunity of judging. for I might have sold it for ten guineas more the next day; Jackson. was very near it. Thorpe is such a very particular friend of my brother's. Morland and my brother!""Good heaven! 'Tis James!" was uttered at the same moment by Catherine; and.""And what did she tell you of them?""Oh! A vast deal indeed; she hardly talked of anything else. and very kind to the little ones. Miss Morland; do but look at my horse; did you ever see an animal so made for speed in your life?" (The servant had just mounted the carriage and was driving off. ever willing to give Mr.""A famous thing for his next heirs.""You had no loss.The whole being explained.""But then you know. She could not help being vexed at the non-appearance of Mr. in some distress. for we shall all be there. I hate to be pitiful. "What a sweet girl she is! I quite dote on her.""Oxford! There is no drinking at Oxford now. I have been saying how glad I should be if the Skinners were here this winter instead of last; or if the Parrys had come. I remember. Her daily expressions were no longer. what do you say to it? Can you spare me for an hour or two? Shall I go?""Do just as you please. a great deal of quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment