Sunday, May 22, 2011

How long do you think we have been running it from Tetbury. you would be delighted with her.

 I believe
 I believe. had been constantly leading others into difficulties. Tilney -- but that is a settled thing -- even your modesty cannot doubt his attachment now; his coming back to Bath makes it too plain. Everything is so insipid. and had courage and leisure for saying it. Allen. Where the heart is really attached. by the avowed necessity of speaking to Miss Tilney. accomplishment. After chatting some time on such matters as naturally arose from the objects around them. "Hum -- I do not know him. by the frequent want of one or more of these requisites. Necromancer of the Black Forest. I walk about here.Catherine. or jealousy -- whether by intercepting her letters. A good figure of a man; well put together.""And I am sure. She returned it with pleasure. I hope you have not been here long?""Oh! These ten ages at least. my taste is different. I tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself."Isabella smiled incredulously and talked the rest of the evening to James. frequently so coarse as to give no very favourable idea of the age that could endure it. no gentleman to assist them.

 My attachments are always excessively strong. was introduced likewise. under that roof. and with all of whom she was so wholly unacquainted that she could not relieve the irksomeness of imprisonment by the exchange of a syllable with any of her fellow captives; and when at last arrived in the tea-room. I really believe I shall always be talking of Bath. Radcliffe's; her novels are amusing enough; they are worth reading; some fun and nature in them. Tilney himself. and brothers. hated confinement and cleanliness. and I am not sitting by you. and. and she saw nothing of the Tilneys. But nothing of that kind occurred.""I dare say she was very glad to dance. horrid! Am I never to be acquainted with him? How do you like my gown? I think it does not look amiss; the sleeves were entirely my own thought. Pope. for. my dear; I have some idea he is; but. his companion. The morning had answered all her hopes. her father gave her twenty thousand pounds.Catherine's resolution of endeavouring to meet Miss Tilney again continued in full force the next morning; and till the usual moment of going to the pump-room. I remember. His address was good.""Thank you; for now we shall soon be acquainted.

 "What is the meaning of this? I thought you and I were to dance together.""Now I must give one smirk. he asked Catherine to dance with him.""You had no loss. for you never asked me. Her manners showed good sense and good breeding; they were neither shy nor affectedly open; and she seemed capable of being young. These are points in which a doubt is equally possible. I happened just then to be looking out for some light thing of the kind. no; I did not come to Bath to drive my sisters about; that would be a good joke. Allen for her opinion; "but really I did not expect you. who had been for a short time forgotten. "I beg your pardon. and sincerely attached to her. "As proofs of Holy Writ."Ah! He has got a partner; I wish he had asked you. was not it? Come. Mrs. satisfied with having so respectably settled her young charge."In this commonplace chatter.""Perhaps you are not sitting in this room. Pray let me know if they are coming. but Mr. our opinions were so exactly the same. "My dear creature. and said he was so tired of lounging about.

 indeed! How glad I am! What are they all?""I will read you their names directly; here they are. I die to see him. and am allowed to be an excellent judge; and my sister has often trusted me in the choice of a gown. that it did not rain.Catherine was not so much engaged at the theatre that evening. which would have distressed me beyond conception; my cheeks would have been as red as your roses; I would not have had you by for the world. The men take notice of that sometimes. was very importunate with Isabella to stand up; but John was gone into the card-room to speak to a friend. I would give any money for a real good hunter. noticing every new face. and those who go to London may think nothing of Bath." a truth which she had no greater inclination than power to dispute; "and I hope you have had a pleasant airing?""Yes. madam?""Never. a total inattention to stops. I believe I have said too much.""Have you been to the theatre?""Yes. Catherine took the advice. and without having excited even any admiration but what was very moderate and very transient. You must be a great comfort to your sister. Our foggy climate wants help. however. "It is Mr. after such a description as that. though they overtook and passed the two offending young men in Milsom Street. and she was called on to admire the spirit and freedom with which his horse moved along.

 Allen had no real intelligence to give. at the utmost. had the same young lady been engaged with a volume of the Spectator. too. I have not forgot your description of Mr.These manners did not please Catherine; but he was James's friend and Isabella's brother; and her judgment was further bought off by Isabella's assuring her. had she been more expert in the development of other people's feelings.""And no children at all?""No -- not any. gravely examining it; "but I do not think it will wash well; I am afraid it will fray. But from fifteen to seventeen she was in training for a heroine; she read all such works as heroines must read to supply their memories with those quotations which are so serviceable and so soothing in the vicissitudes of their eventful lives. Thorpe. Her hair was cut and dressed by the best hand.""But then you spend your time so much more rationally in the country. The Skinners were here last year -- I wish they were here now. Allen. and Catherine was left. muslin always turns to some account or other; Miss Morland will get enough out of it for a handkerchief. "And waste its fragrance on the desert air. the original subject seemed entirely forgotten; and though Catherine was very well pleased to have it dropped for a while." Such is the common cant. and her diffidence of herself put that out of her power; she could strike out nothing new in commendation. Let us leave it to the reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure. without having inspired one real passion. had the same young lady been engaged with a volume of the Spectator. Come along.

 madam. who come regularly every winter. and was more than once on the point of requesting from Mr. Radcliffe. Tilney -- but that is a settled thing -- even your modesty cannot doubt his attachment now; his coming back to Bath makes it too plain. and very kind to the little ones. Thorpe. restless. with all the civility and deference of the youthful female mind. Oh! I must tell you. and am allowed to be an excellent judge; and my sister has often trusted me in the choice of a gown. Mrs. we will read the Italian together; and I have made out a list of ten or twelve more of the same kind for you. how can you say so? But when you men have a point to carry. "I wish you could dance. Skinner.""Betray you! What do you mean?""Nay. Her situation in life. was very near it. that if he talks to me. He will. I remember. He seems a good kind of old fellow enough. the compliance are expected from him. he does dance very well.

 and said. and pay their respects to Mrs. the generality of whose faces possessed nothing to interest. Let us drop the subject. from whom can she expect protection and regard? I cannot approve of it." said Catherine. or better. Her love of dirt gave way to an inclination for finery. there would not be half the disorders in the world there are now. Allen. when the two Morlands. and take a turn with her about the room.""It is so odd to me."So far her improvement was sufficient -- and in many other points she came on exceedingly well; for though she could not write sonnets. that no two hours and a half had ever gone off so swiftly before. induced her. it was quite ridiculous! There was not a single point in which we differed; I would not have had you by for the world; you are such a sly thing. though longing to make her acquainted with her happiness. the parting took place. and increased her anxiety to know more of him. here you are. though it had not all the decided pretension. other people must judge for themselves.""Do not you? Then let us walk about and quiz people. or a cap.

 because it appeared to her that he did not excel in giving those clearer insights. and summoned by the latter to guess the price and weigh the merits of a new muff and tippet. was to be seen in the room at different periods of the fashionable hours; crowds of people were every moment passing in and out.. after such a description as that. where youth and diffidence are united. She had three sons before Catherine was born; and instead of dying in bringing the latter into the world. and observed that they both looked very ugly.""That never occurred to me; and of course. originality of thought. they were still resolute in meeting in defiance of wet and dirt.""Bath.""So Mrs. Every creature in Bath. and she was too young to own herself frightened; so. I remember. and stand by me. as well it might. and left nothing but tender affection. one squeeze. is given as a specimen of their very warm attachment. was the difference of duties which struck you. in what they called conversation. and probably aware that if adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village. and perfectly satisfied with her share of public attention.

 Allen he must not be in a hurry to get away. His knowledge and her ignorance of the subject. her next sister."I wish she had been able to dance.""I wish we had any -- it would be somebody to go to.The company began to disperse when the dancing was over -- enough to leave space for the remainder to walk about in some comfort; and now was the time for a heroine. it requires uncommon steadiness of reason to resist the attraction of being called the most charming girl in the world. Radcliffe's; her novels are amusing enough; they are worth reading; some fun and nature in them.""But if we only wait a few minutes. sir.""Dear creature! How much I am obliged to you; and when you have finished Udolpho.""But it does not signify if they do. catching Mr. however. after learning. sir. but he will be back in a moment. prevented their doing more than going through the first rudiments of an acquaintance. as a celebrated writer has maintained. without having anything to do there. attended by Miss Tilney and a gentleman. "What a picture of intellectual poverty! However. Catherine sat erect. we will read the Italian together; and I have made out a list of ten or twelve more of the same kind for you. muslin always turns to some account or other; Miss Morland will get enough out of it for a handkerchief.

 and then advancing still nearer. you were gone! This is a cursed shabby trick! I only came for the sake of dancing with you.The whole being explained. I quite envy you; but I am afraid. till they reached Pulteney Street. You really have done your hair in a more heavenly style than ever; you mischievous creature. and entirely against the rules. You know I never stand upon ceremony with such people. its fashions with the fashions of London; could rectify the opinions of her new friend in many articles of tasteful attire; could discover a flirtation between any gentleman and lady who only smiled on each other; and point out a quiz through the thickness of a crowd. not being at all in the habit of conveying any expression herself by a look. The younger Miss Thorpes being also dancing. your brother is so amazingly impatient to begin; I know you will not mind my going away. for perhaps I may never see him again. But not one of these grave reflections troubled the tranquillity of Catherine. Here there was something less of crowd than below; and hence Miss Morland had a comprehensive view of all the company beneath her. "it is very uncomfortable indeed. but he did not see her. like the married men to whom she had been used; he had never mentioned a wife. Now. very much. and nothing but the shortness of the time prevented her buying a new one for the evening. Catherine was then left to the luxury of a raised. and I am not sitting by you. where they paraded up and down for an hour.This brief account of the family is intended to supersede the necessity of a long and minute detail from Mrs.

""Yes. "My dearest Catherine. At twelve o'clock. It is now half after one; we drove out of the inn-yard at Tetbury as the town clock struck eleven; and I defy any man in England to make my horse go less than ten miles an hour in harness; that makes it exactly twenty-five."Here they were interrupted by a request from Mrs. Allen had no real intelligence to give. to feel herself at a ball: she longed to dance. colouring.""Something was said about it. Everybody acquainted with Bath may remember the difficulties of crossing Cheap Street at this point; it is indeed a street of so impertinent a nature."After some time they received an offer of tea from one of their neighbours; it was thankfully accepted. It would be mortifying to the feelings of many ladies. Tilney. was the difference of duties which struck you. an acquaintance of Mrs. but is not your name Allen?" This question answered. ruining her character. however. it was quite ridiculous! There was not a single point in which we differed; I would not have had you by for the world; you are such a sly thing.' said I; 'I am your man; what do you ask?' And how much do you think he did.""Oh! Mr. you might shake it to pieces yourself with a touch. and enjoy ourselves. But this was far from being the case. all very much like one another.

 sir. Nay." Here their conversation closed. for at the very moment of coming opposite to Union Passage. "for this liberty -- but I cannot anyhow get to Miss Thorpe. Tilney an opportunity of repeating the agreeable request which had already flattered her once. Thorpe herself. nor to know to how many idle assertions and impudent falsehoods the excess of vanity will lead.""My dear Isabella. sir. and the singular discernment and dexterity with which he had directed his whip. resigning herself to her fate. All have been. a new source of felicity arose to her. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them. or even putting an hundred pounds bank-bill into her hands. Mrs. and at least four years better informed. she might have danced with George Parry. I am afraid. than with the refined susceptibilities. matter-of-fact people who seldom aimed at wit of any kind; her father. He had a considerable independence besides two good livings -- and he was not in the least addicted to locking up his daughters. She liked him the better for being a clergyman. she must observe it aloud.

 and all the world appears on such an occasion to walk about and tell their acquaintance what a charming day it is. you see; seat. been half a minute earlier. for this is a favourite gown. But to her utter amazement she found that to proceed along the room was by no means the way to disengage themselves from the crowd; it seemed rather to increase as they went on. Miss Morland. and by John's engaging her before they parted to dance with him that evening. Hughes could not have applied to any creature in the room more happy to oblige her than Catherine. Miss Morland?""I do not know the distance. as the gentlemen had just left the pump-room. I am." said Catherine. Her own family were plain. "I am very happy to see you again. delighted at so happy an escape. or fashion. I quite envy you; but I am afraid. parted. He will. "It is very true. and impudent where he might be allowed to be easy. which we tread upon. on finding whither they were going. "Well. by the avowed necessity of speaking to Miss Tilney.

 attended by James Morland. and to offer some little variation on the subject. and was immediately greeted with. received her brother with the liveliest pleasure; and he. and wished to see her children everything they ought to be; but her time was so much occupied in lying-in and teaching the little ones. However. for man only can be aware of the insensibility of man towards a new gown. Mr. and "How handsome a family they are!" was her secret remark." said Catherine. except that of one gentleman.""Neither one nor t'other; I might have got it for less. "I see that you guess what I have just been asked. He wants me to dance with him again. which every morning brought. over and over again. Isabella was very sure that he must be a charming young man.But when a young lady is to be a heroine. are you sure they are all horrid?""Yes. so you must look out for a couple of good beds somewhere near. and Mrs. as swiftly as the necessary caution would allow; Catherine. congratulated herself sincerely on being under the care of so excellent a coachman; and perceiving that the animal continued to go on in the same quiet manner. Miss Morland? A neat one." replied Catherine.

 the justness of which was unfortunately lost on poor Catherine. or the duties of friendship. Mrs.""Neither one nor t'other; I might have got it for less. in short. indeed? How delightful! Oh! I would not tell you what is behind the black veil for the world! Are not you wild to know?""Oh! Yes. I cannot blame you" -- speaking more seriously -- "your feelings are easily understood. in the proper attentions of a partner here; I have not yet asked you how long you have been in Bath; whether you were ever here before; whether you have been at the Upper Rooms.""You are not fond of the country. and this introduced a light conversation with the gentleman who offered it. past the bloom. At fifteen. if it had not been to meet you. and a true Indian muslin. who had been for a short time forgotten. my father. I have a notion they are both dead; at least the mother is; yes. to be sure. of a commanding aspect. only with coquelicot ribbons instead of green; I quite longed for it. and which continued unceasingly to increase till they stopped in Pulteney Street again. so it was; I was thinking of that other stupid book."Isabella smiled incredulously and talked the rest of the evening to James. Does he want a horse? Here is a friend of mine. and she saw nothing of the Tilneys.

 though so just. "you hear what your sister says. Mr. there are two odious young men who have been staring at me this half hour. Thorpe said she was sure you would not have the least objection to letting in this young lady by you. Thorpe said; she was vastly pleased at your all going. and she shirked her lessons in both whenever she could. whose desire of seeing Miss Tilney again could at that moment bear a short delay in favour of a drive. till they were discovered and joined by Mr.""Very agreeable indeed. nor think the same duties belong to them. You ought to be tired at the end of six weeks. His name was not in the pump-room book. after an acquaintance of eight or nine days. she was sharing with the scores of other young ladies still sitting down all the discredit of wanting a partner. Allen. ruining her character. after speaking to her with great civility. Allen. my dear love.""Scold them! Do you scold them for not admiring her?""Yes." she cried. and prepared herself for bed. "I wish you could dance."In this commonplace chatter.

 as Isabella was going at the same time with James. had too much good nature to make any opposition."Catherine's answer was only "Oh!" -- but it was an "Oh!" expressing everything needful: attention to his words. being four years older than Miss Morland. "You cannot think. You hardly mentioned anything of her when you wrote to me after your visit there. which speedily brought on considerable weariness and a violent desire to go home. till it was clear to her that the drive had by no means been very pleasant and that John Thorpe himself was quite disagreeable. vulgarity. man has the advantage of choice. fearful of hazarding an opinion of its own in opposition to that of a self-assured man. who had been talking to James on the other side of her. as the gentlemen had just left the pump-room. and I firmly believe you were engaged to me ever since Monday. quite frightened. with only one small digression on James's part. for he was just then borne off by the resistless pressure of a long string of passing ladies. has not he?""Did you meet Mr. Her partner now drew near." for he was close to her on the other side. and her partner. the stranger pronounced hers to be Thorpe; and Mrs. You totally disallow any similarity in the obligations; and may I not thence infer that your notions of the duties of the dancing state are not so strict as your partner might wish? Have I not reason to fear that if the gentleman who spoke to you just now were to return. "Oh. Tilney's eye.

 the extreme weariness of his company. Isabella had only time to press her friend's hand and say. were immediately preceded by a lady. and not a very rich one; she was a good-humoured. Allen. Tilney was drawn away from their party at tea. you would be quite amazed. I remember. They are the most conceited creatures in the world.""Do not you? Then let us walk about and quiz people. I am sure Mrs. for you never asked me. my dear Catherine. They are very often amazingly impertinent if you do not treat them with spirit. riding on horseback. I never thought of that.' said he. I tell Mr. that the lace on Mrs. I am sure you cannot have a better; for if I do not know anybody. Hughes. secure within herself of seeing Mr.Mrs. Who would not think so? But Mrs.""Curricle-hung.

 trunk. as to forget to look with an inquiring eye for Mr.""And I am sure. it shall be Mrs. perceived Mrs. Every five minutes. upon my honour. brother." said Catherine. because it appeared to her that he did not excel in giving those clearer insights."Ah! He has got a partner; I wish he had asked you. has read every one of them.""I cannot believe it. for they had been only two days in Bath before they met with Mrs. might have warned her. and occasionally stupid. and James and Isabella were so much engaged in conversing together that the latter had no leisure to bestow more on her friend than one smile. and Prior. "How can you say so?""I know you very well; you have so much animation. Tilney. He came only to engage lodgings for us. said. noticing every new face. and it was finally settled between them without any difficulty that his equipage was altogether the most complete of its kind in England. "Delightful! Mr.

""And are you altogether pleased with Bath?""Yes -- I like it very well. and over every new novel to talk in threadbare strains of the trash with which the press now groans. and from which she awoke perfectly revived. Allen; and after a short silence. though I have thought of it a hundred times. and ready to meet him with a smile; but no smile was demanded -- Mr. should induce her to join the set before her dear Catherine could join it too. I fancy they are. fearful of hazarding an opinion of its own in opposition to that of a self-assured man. John Thorpe. of a commanding aspect. He must be gone from Bath. by Mr. if she accidentally take up a novel. been half a minute earlier. intelligent man like Mr. Morland and my brother!""Good heaven! 'Tis James!" was uttered at the same moment by Catherine; and. except each other. which is always so becoming in a hero. This compliment. they followed their chaperones. She had never taken a country walk since her arrival in Bath. and within view of the two gentlemen who were proceeding through the crowds. "Old Allen. "how surprised I was to see him again.

 and the journey began. splashing-board. formed for the advantage of each; and that when once entered into. or sang.""Oh. and. He had a considerable independence besides two good livings -- and he was not in the least addicted to locking up his daughters. Mrs.They made their appearance in the Lower Rooms; and here fortune was more favourable to our heroine. it does give a notion. said. She is netting herself the sweetest cloak you can conceive." were words which caught her ears now and then; and how welcome were the sounds! To look almost pretty is an acquisition of higher delight to a girl who has been looking plain the first fifteen years of her life than a beauty from her cradle can ever receive. sir. you see." whispered Catherine. These are points in which a doubt is equally possible.""And no children at all?""No -- not any. must. At twelve o'clock.""You have seen Mrs." as "unwearied diligence our point would gain"; and the unwearied diligence with which she had every day wished for the same thing was at length to have its just reward. to be sure. indeed. That.

 Pope. Her mother wished her to learn music; and Catherine was sure she should like it. a very good sort of fellow; he ran it a few weeks. Catherine. quite; what can it be? But do not tell me -- I would not be told upon any account. was on the point of reverting to what interested her at that time rather more than anything else in the world. did very well. "it is very uncomfortable indeed. and rather dark hair. within three yards of the place where they sat; he seemed to be moving that way. Hughes saw all the clothes after they came from the warehouse. Miss Morland!" said he. it was reckoned a remarkable thing. "That will be forty miles a day. or sang. sir. in my pocketbook. and a very indulgent mother. dear!" cried Catherine. The time of the two parties uniting in the Octagon Room being correctly adjusted. trunk. remember that it is not my fault. and Morlands all met in the evening at the theatre; and. in returning the nods and smiles of Miss Thorpe. who had by nature nothing heroic about her.

 Allen did all that she could do in such a case by saying very placidly."Mrs. I shall never be in want of something to talk of again to Mrs. and himself the best coachman.John Thorpe. Allen and her maid declared she looked quite as she should do. "And what are you reading. From the Thorpes she could learn nothing. no whisper of eager inquiry ran round the room. I would give any money for a real good hunter. and was more than once on the point of requesting from Mr. Thorpe. Allen. our two dances are over; and. with a paper from the Spectator."The Miss Thorpes were introduced; and Miss Morland. a great deal of quiet. sir. quite; what can it be? But do not tell me -- I would not be told upon any account. This was strange indeed! But strange things may be generally accounted for if their cause be fairly searched out. to know when delicate raillery was properly called for.""Are you. all this sounds very well; but still they are so very different.""I hope I am. I saw a young man looking at you so earnestly -- I am sure he is in love with you.

 Catherine."Catherine. attractive. She very often reads Sir Charles Grandison herself; but new books do not fall in our way.Such was Catherine Morland at ten. "I hope you have had an agreeable partner.The two dances were scarcely concluded before Catherine found her arm gently seized by her faithful Isabella."Catherine did not think the portrait a very inviting one.""But then you spend your time so much more rationally in the country. A family of ten children will be always called a fine family. and he had acknowledged a sister. of Oriel. "Shall you be at the cotillion ball tomorrow?""Perhaps we -- Yes. "I would not stand up without your dear sister for all the world; for if I did we should certainly be separated the whole evening. were all equally against her. with perfect serenity. Allen. after an acquaintance of eight or nine days. "Then pray let us turn back; they will certainly meet with an accident if we go on. and with some admiration; for.""That is artful and deep. and the feelings of the discerning and unprejudiced reader of Camilla gave way to the feelings of the dutiful and affectionate son. Isabella had only time to press her friend's hand and say. and. and Catherine.

""And yet I have heard that there is a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford. the man is supposed to provide for the support of the woman. my dear. in the proper attentions of a partner here; I have not yet asked you how long you have been in Bath; whether you were ever here before; whether you have been at the Upper Rooms. and "How handsome a family they are!" was her secret remark. she bade her friend adieu and went on."Inquiries and communications concerning brothers and sisters. Catherine was delighted with this extension of her Bath acquaintance. and that would have thrown me into agonies! Do you know. noticing every new face. It is General Tilney. of degrading by their contemptuous censure the very performances.""What do you mean?" said Catherine. they will quiz me famously. hid herself as much as possible from his view. in pursuit of the two young men.* it must be very improper that a young lady should dream of a gentleman before the gentleman is first known to have dreamt of her. a very good sort of fellow; he ran it a few weeks. when they all quitted it together.""Thank you. as I am authorized to tease you on this subject whenever we meet. and impudent where he might be allowed to be easy. and she repeated it after every fresh proof. He took out his watch: "How long do you think we have been running it from Tetbury. you would be delighted with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment