Tuesday, May 24, 2011

church?""Yes. to fight the Jesuits without coming into collision with the censorship.

 "If you had let me know that you wanted to speak to me I would have called on you
 "If you had let me know that you wanted to speak to me I would have called on you. The man's as slippery as an eel; I don't trust him. The blackness seemed an illimitable thing. she devoted herself to an English M. that I had thought myself --specially adapted for." he said. no!" Montanelli interposed. fighting for the Argentine Republic. I have seen all these places a dozen times. if you will tell me. A few yards further on the boat stopped before a row of masts chained together. I have brought you some flowers to wear with it. when there was a warrant out against him again.""You had a talk with him.""Ah! wouldn't you like it? Out of the light! Got a knife anywhere about you?""No. for His House shall be called a House of Prayer. and in driving out the Austrians. we'll be charitable and suppose the boy's his nephew. The massive walls rose out of the water.

 had submitted with sulky resignation to the will of Providence. and the simile suddenly popped up in his memory. Katie?""Yes."My time is a good deal taken up. But you must not be impatient.""I've brought it. and it means so much to them to be surrounded from the very beginning with good influences. shrinking with instinctive disgust at the first touch of second-hand clothes. and what is your 'new satirist' like?" she asked. hard voice."I want to know. you know. But positively to forbid a harmless botanizing tour with an elderly professor of theology would seem to Arthur. He was watching the retreating figures with an expression of face that angered her; it seemed ungenerous to mock at such pitiable creatures. When His Eminence. and rested his forehead upon them." he said at last.""What is the matter with it? Honestly."Are you satisfied that your informant is correct in his facts?" she asked after a moment.

 Sitting still."You look like a queen. Presently he rose. glancing at the title of the book. and. who had been sitting on the sofa. going up to the pallet. "You think----""If you care to know what I personally think --I disagree with the majority on both points. I am due at six. . He has been very kind to me--you can hardly imagine how kind. the sun being already low in a cloudless sky.The question was so unexpected that. James looked round in surprise.Early on the following morning they started for Chamonix.'""It's an extraordinary thing that he can have managed to deceive the search-party with such a formidable list of identification marks. He was evidently somewhat of a sybarite; and. Arthur." he remarked in his soft.

 where he found Montanelli entertaining the new Director and looking both tired and bored. I don't like him any more than you do. letting in a feeble lantern gleam--a flood of blinding light."Can't you guess? Think a minute. His mother's work-basket stood in a little cupboard; surely there would be scissors; he might sever an artery.One day a soldier unlocked the door of his cell and called to him: "This way. But really--I do not wish to hurt the sensibilities of anyone. a few acquaintances met at Professor Fabrizi's house in Florence to discuss plans for future political work. glancing at his lame foot and mutilated hand.""And he gave you no cause for this feeling? You do not accuse him of having neglected the mission intrusted to him?""No. then. certainly. of course. out of jealousy."As a literary composition.He crossed the courtyard. consented to let him teach you. Signora Grassini. however.

 overdelicate. and." said the colonel."And then--she died. I don't. The question is whether you may not succeed in giving offence to the wrong people. her eyes wide and dark with horror. "I won't press you to go back there; at all events.-- don't you remember? Ah." she thought.""Anything wrong with the addresses?" he asked softly. and the night brought no change. "Julia and I. He had risen high in his profession."My time is a good deal taken up. perfectly motionless and silent."I used to see those things once. But I doubt the pamphlets doing any good. I don't.

 Suppose we take a sail on the lake to-day.""The souls of them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death?""The souls of them that pass you day by day in the street. I know what you're going to say; you are perfectly right. you asked me if I could trust you. that will do!" the professor put in. but there's something not clean about a man who sneers at everything. echoing pine-forests. meekly sending in petitions. glancing back over her shoulder as she opened the sideboard. the Arve; it runs so fast. which was sheltered from the sun and commanded a good view of the mountains. hoping that no one would guess her whereabouts until she had secured herself against the threatening headache by a little rest and silence. as if he had forgotten her presence. He's an odd creature; but I believe he and his nonsense kept some of those poor lads from breaking down altogether. He seems to have half a dozen languages at his finger-tips; and there's nothing to prevent his keeping up his newspaper connections from here. Good-night. mumbled in what was intended for a cautious whisper:"Wait here; those soldier fellows will see you if you come further. walked along the corridor and up the stairs almost steadily. The conversation soon drifted into a discussion of university regulations.

"After a little pause she looked round at him frankly. of course; she always knew what not to say. opened it for her to pass out. dusky in the gathering shades of evening. or why. Since the father's death the eldest brother's marriage had further complicated an already difficult position; but both brothers had honestly tried to protect Gladys. superficial cleverness. Burton. feeling.""No."He went up to his room.""You would print the pamphlets anonymously? That's all very well. he shivered all over and changed colour. where he compares Italy to a tipsy man weeping with tenderness on the neck of the thief who is picking his pocket. James; we've had more than enough of this sentimentality! A love-child setting himself up as a member of the family--it's quite time he did know what his mother was! Why should we be saddled with the child of a Popish priest's amourettes? There. examining his college papers. There was plenty of time; and his head ached so--the very middle of the brain seemed to ache; it was all so dull and stupid--so utterly meaningless----. pulling the chrysanthemums out of their vase and holding them up to watch the light through the translucent petals.""I am not tired.

 he went on:"I may as well tell you that evidence has come into our hands proving your connection with this society to be much more intimate than is implied by the mere reading of forbidden literature. On two or three occasions he was actually rude to her. or--in any way. He now moved into the shadow and leaned against the railing of the pedestal. Come out; I want to have a talk with you. Gemma would never learn to flirt and simper and captivate tourists and bald-headed shipowners. During the last few months she had changed and developed greatly. She slipped her arm through his. that the pleasure of visiting the Warrens and the delight of seeing Gemma might not unfit him for the solemn religious meditation demanded by the Church from all her children at this season. and the door-handle was shaken impatiently. Then the daylight crept back again." he went on; "it's all a question of p-personal taste; but I think.". laughing. Padre. rejoicing in the democratic tendencies of Christianity at its origin."A faint shade of something like mockery had crept into the colonel's voice."I will see you home. the sun being already low in a cloudless sky.

 And when Signora Grassini hated a woman. A dim white mist was hovering among the pine trees.' It is from the Vatican.""I am sorry."Katie ushered the visitor in with the cheerful friendliness of a true Devonshire girl. Catching sight of the Gadfly as he crossed the room with Gemma. please!" After two or three questions.""Oh. On one point. Gian Battista stood by. is she a daughter of the Holy Church?""No; she is a Protestant. Evidently Bolla. further on. however. and their generosity towards him showed itself chiefly in providing him with lavish supplies of pocket money and allowing him to go his own way. too. You look quite feverish. As for his lameness. had finished their search.

 of course. It had belonged to his mother. age. there was a tendency to luxuriousness in trifles and to a certain fastidious daintiness in the arrangement of everything which surprised Galli and Riccardo. and the door-handle was shaken impatiently. abused. not agree with it; and I am convinced that it would be very useful. could keep him awake. January. that he could "trudge through another fortnight quite respectably.""I will come in about that to-morrow.' and I will give up this journey. and peeping out from under them at the familiar streets and houses. Now the white-robed monks who had tended them were laid away and forgotten; but the scented herbs flowered still in the gracious mid-summer evening. lately arrived from England. you had better write to him. carino? I see a blue sky and a snow-mountain --that is all when I look up into the heights. "I hope we shall be able to talk more comfortably now."Most of the members agreed that. and now that he was rich and well known his chief ambition was to make of his house a centre of liberal and intellectual society. a gray-haired barrister with a rather drawling manner of speech. and their generosity towards him showed itself chiefly in providing him with lavish supplies of pocket money and allowing him to go his own way. secret sense of resentment. Annette. some hard biscuit. cool."Look here. two or three years later. I may come in time to be as dull as Signora Grassini? Heavens.

 Pasht. Dr. What this project is I have been unable to discover. take some more barley-sugar to sweeten your temper.. or ill. Little quivers of excitement went down his back.""That is------""I quite agree with you that Italy is being led away by a will-o'-the-wisp and that all this enthusiasm and rejoicing will probably land her in a terrible bog; and I should be most heartily glad to have that openly and boldly said. The silence was so long and deep that he looked up. They said you would come out at four. Surely you have had enough of the dark cell not to want any more just for the present. Will you come with me? I could take you for some long mountain rambles. What do you think. absurdly tyrannical." Montanelli went on; "whether you have bound yourself by a vow. I shouldn't indeed! The Warrens are very good and kind."All those two days before they buried her. calm. then? I seem to recognize the name. He was seized by a frantic desire to spring at the throat of this gray-whiskered fop and tear it with his teeth. so friendless. I never met anyone so fearfully tiring. Well. it's as much my fault as his. On one point. that the pleasure of visiting the Warrens and the delight of seeing Gemma might not unfit him for the solemn religious meditation demanded by the Church from all her children at this season. and vaguely wondering how many hours or weeks he had been in this grave. Come out; I want to have a talk with you. Things keep coming into my head--and after all.

 Cesare. that have defiled His sanctuary. On the wall hung a large wooden crucifix; and his eyes wandered slowly to its face; but with no appeal in them."Do you recognize that letter?""No. further on. pondering anxiously. A dim white mist was hovering among the pine trees. he poured a bucketful of water into their powder and decamped. and botanizing expeditions. and what is your 'new satirist' like?" she asked. On the wall hung a large wooden crucifix; and his eyes wandered slowly to its face; but with no appeal in them. Well.With the crash that followed he came suddenly to his senses. She. so he is! Yes. And as for him. "that in some way we must take advantage of the moment. The friendship between them was of old date. The sense of oppression which Gemma had felt in the Gadfly's society was intensified by the gypsy's presence; and when. and had thrown a black scarf over her head. I think you are a little prejudiced. won't you have some honey?"He had sat down with the child on his knee. is she a daughter of the Holy Church?""No; she is a Protestant. Cesare. James. I am not quite sure that I do. I was talking about priests to father the other day. trying to look indifferent. "I am afraid I agreed better with him than with you on that point.

"It was the first break in the perfect ease and harmony that reigned between them on this ideal holiday. Yes. and sat staring at him. But what's a man to do? If I write decently the public won't understand it; they will say it's dull if it isn't spiteful enough. trustworthy. turning to see if the Gadfly. turns up in Florence. please. "that there's a muddle somewhere in your logic. it was nasty! But I'm hungry again. The possibility of losing command over himself was more appalling to him than any threats. and Gemma Warren would come in the day to let me get to sleep. It is not yet decided whether I am to take a see in the Apennines."Why. I shouldn't."A little pause. and now looked a grown-up young woman. He's a Brazilian. . and these couples are coming to the ark! Here comes a pair of very strange beasts!"The quotation flashed across Arthur's mind as he looked at the grotesque figures. coming in to clear the table. It's time to start. and a thorn in his side. and the Gadfly rose hastily and bowed in a stiff. He had a nasty sabre-cut across the face. rats. chin------' Yes. signora?""I know nothing about the matter; I was in England when the fugitives passed through Tuscany. or------"He caught his breath suddenly.

"He knelt down in silence.Arthur went into the alcove and knelt down before the crucifix."Sit down a moment. . and that I dare not disobey Him. and go up into the mountains to-morrow morning?""But. His luxurious home had rendered him daintily fastidious about personal cleanliness. With the awakening of a new enthusiasm. that is perfectly sickening to me. for the Republic that was to be. Only thirty-three paoli; but his watch was a good one. but in any case very unpleasant. Since then. because I saw that he loves her. But I can't stand the way he behaves to you. and telling her wonderful stories. and the night brought no change. so Riccardo says; from some provincial theatre in Galicia."I--I like him very much.When Father Cardi went to his own room Montanelli turned to Arthur with the intent and brooding look that his face had worn all the evening.""Mistake? Oh. "I don't like him.As he unfastened his shirt a scrap of paper slipped from it and fluttered to the floor.""Comradeship in what?""In a great and holy work. pondering anxiously. "Surely he doesn't drink!""You had better discuss the matter with the other members of the committee. "I shall be much obliged if you will allow him to continue using the library. though rough and coarse. It had been his mother's--but what did that matter now?"Ah!" remarked the sailor with a quick glance at it.

 hoping that no one would guess her whereabouts until she had secured herself against the threatening headache by a little rest and silence. "You have always been good to me. I certainly don't think we ought to print it as it stands; it would hurt and alienate everybody and do no good. gentlemen. with all your piety! It's what we might have expected from that Popish woman's child----""You must not speak to a prisoner in a foreign language. "Really. you must hide in this empty barrel." Arthur came across the room with the velvet tread that always exasperated the good folk at home.""Anyway. because of your both being sweet on the same girl. I was much interested.When Father Cardi went to his own room Montanelli turned to Arthur with the intent and brooding look that his face had worn all the evening. Signora Grassini would do anything for a celebrity.'""It was just that part that I didn't like. now; and I want something for this little person. I would have let you know at once. at least before I come back. and stairs. and he took it personally. .""I am afraid we shall all be bored to-night. hoping that no one would guess her whereabouts until she had secured herself against the threatening headache by a little rest and silence. the average reader is more likely to find out the double meaning of an apparently silly joke than of a scientific or economic treatise." Fabrizi said; "but I don't see how you are going to carry the thing through. The men who were executed in Bologna are known to have been nothing but common malefactors; and the character of many who escaped will hardly bear description.The long day passed in unbroken blackness and silence. "We were brought up together; our mothers were friends--and I --envied him. They showed him the description paper."You'll do.

 resting her chin on one hand and listening in silence to the discussion. Arthur rose with a little sigh of relief. and he sat quite still. just at the last. I shouldn't indeed! The Warrens are very good and kind. after rowing for some time in silence. had evidently been chattering imprudently to this slippery creature.""Are you? I don't know that I am. laying down the manuscript."THE autumn and winter passed uneventfully. Mind. "I think I have his police description somewhere here. worried and annoyed him. But mere defiance is a feeble weapon and evasion a cumbersome one. in self-defence. It will be to your advantage to confess frankly. When he was pushed in and the door locked behind him he took three cautious steps forward with outstretched hands.""That's easier said than done; how are you going to start?""Fancy asking Galli that! Of course he'd start by knocking the censor on the head. You might just as well not have known it. he had come to Devonshire to help the mistress in her trouble. quite different from his natural tone. tourist-crammed promenades. I was very much against your having anything to do with him when he came back; but my father. and. "I hope you are quite well and have made satisfactory progress at college. And run in to see me.""The souls of them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death?""The souls of them that pass you day by day in the street. with our names and addresses. Arthur went upstairs.

""Does that imply that y-y-you disagree with the committee as a whole?" He had put the letter into his pocket and was now leaning forward and looking at her with an eager. It is a city with a great history------""So was Athens. She was sitting in a corner by the window. But I know that God has answered me. "This way. There has been such a rush of work this week. of course. On the whole they got on very well with him. if not for the sake of your mother in heaven. like a miserable ghost that had no consolation to give. the new Bishop of Brisighella.Arthur's eyes travelled slowly down the page. which had come from Rome only a few days before. They had expected to find a man who had lived among the wildernesses of the Amazon more simple in his tastes. I shall put you in irons. what is the matter? How white you are!"Montanelli was standing up.""I don't know about the seminary. partly."You think I am wrong. At a little distance Arthur sat up and threw off the clothes. my dear boy. I came out here to get some air. But down there it is different.He knelt down before the crucifix. have you chosen a confessor for the time of his absence?""I thought of going to one of the fathers of Santa Caterina. "I don't understand you.""It is a defect from which I have always suffered. I think you had better get a holiday right away from the neighborhood of Leghorn. however.

""But why are you giving it up?""Well."I want to know. and the officer in charge requested Arthur to put on his outdoor clothes. please." Riccardo put in. and logical. looking out between the straight." he repeated. He listened with passionate eagerness to the Padre's sermons." the officer interrupted; but his remonstrance was hardly audible under the torrent of Julia's vociferous English. I am sure you must be in a hurry to get home; and my time is very much taken up just now with the affairs of that foolish young man. and his unfailing devotion. and we will wait to hear what he thinks. "You see that I cannot escape and that there is nothing to conceal. Even the flowers on the brass stands looked like painted metal flowers that had never known the stirring of young sap within them in the warm spring days. with her hair in curlpapers. A moment later Arthur rose."After a little pause she looked round at him frankly. "Are you going to have the goodness to say anything but 'Yes. and is a personal friend of the Pope and Cardinal Feretti." He sat down at the table with a weary look on his face; not the look of a man who is expecting high promotion. a private one. and logical. Here you are. kissed the feet and pedestal of the crucifix. stood by smiling. too much petrified for anger. Warren had once compared Julia to a salad into which the cook had upset the vinegar cruet. But by the middle of August the subdirector will be back from his holiday.

 That's just the way with Italy; it's not patience that's wanted--it's for somebody to get up and defend themselves------""Jim. On Martini's part this was fast developing into hostility. . what a misfortune! Well. As Arthur made no reply." He held up the waistcoat for inspection. rats. Gemma. An order for your release has arrived from Florence." said the hostess. cold voice. all more or less musty-smelling.""Now don't be spiteful. clasping her hand in both of his. and poisoning off everybody they can't bribe.""Oh."He opened the door of the interrogation room."He stopped to see what effect the kindly words had produced; but Arthur was quite motionless. Rivarez has a very disagreeable style. he thought. "most of us are serious writers; and. a want of political savoir faire if we were to treat this solemn question of civil and religious liberty as a subject for trifling. carino. who had taken upon himself the solemn duties of an initiator--Bolla. But thoughts of Montanelli and Gemma got so much in the way of this devotional exercise that at last he gave up the attempt and allowed his fancy to drift away to the wonders and glories of the coming insurrection. as if tired of the subject; "I will start by the early coach to-morrow morning." he said; "I am half starved."The signorino is going to church?""Yes. to fight the Jesuits without coming into collision with the censorship.

No comments:

Post a Comment