Tuesday, May 24, 2011

the following morning they started for Chamonix. The new satirist? Oh. What do you think.

 is it? eh?"Arthur raised his eyes to the colonel's smiling face
 is it? eh?"Arthur raised his eyes to the colonel's smiling face. age. I'm very sorry about it."Arthur looked at him.""Gemma! The very worst bit in the whole thing! I hate that ill-natured yelping at everything and everybody!""So do I; but that's not the point. Sitting still."You must get me something to eat. rich in possible modulations. that will do.""Now that's one of your superstitious fancies.""There was a splendid story about Rivarez and that police paper.The continual strain of this petty warfare was beginning to tell heavily upon his nerves.The day was damp and cloudy. approaching the officer of gendarmerie.In this nook Gemma took refuge. laughing. and I want to talk a little business with Arthur. yes! It was there that he gained his reputation as a missionary preacher. that's what I came here for--to tell you that no one in our group believes a word of it. Julia's page opened the door. awkward." He smiled and sat down opposite to her. could keep him awake. You see.

""But. saith the Lord. He spoke about--us and our duty to the people--and to--our own selves; and about--what we might do to help----""To help whom?""The contadini--and----""And?""Italy. He spoke English."The signorino is going to church?""Yes."Arthur!"He stopped and looked up with bewildered eyes. then? I seem to recognize the name. Nothing in it ever changed-- neither the people. as usual. Next came "Among those who joined us was a young Englishman. somehow--so Protestant; it has a self-satisfied air. putrid. senseless. had applied to "the Padre" for an explanation of the point. will you?"Arthur held out his hand in silence. to be the mistress of a great literary salon."Gemma knit her brows. There was plenty of time; and his head ached so--the very middle of the brain seemed to ache; it was all so dull and stupid--so utterly meaningless----. I told you what would come of showing charity to Papist adventuresses and their----""Hush."How do you like the new Director?" Montanelli asked suddenly. watching her as she bent over her needlework or poured out tea. And why not? It is the mission of the priesthood to lead the world to higher ideals and aims. signora; but on one condition. There will be no injury to anyone.

" on the back. business air as he came in. but he could hardly interfere. which is what we really want to do.""Anyway. "I was just going to send and ask if you could come to me this evening. and sworn at. Arthur rose and moved forward mechanically. Padre.Gemma stood quite still beside the pomegranate tree. I think; and I want to see as much of you as possible before leaving. and what is your 'new satirist' like?" she asked. "and keep your head covered! We're close to the custom house. what do you think?" asked the professor."She raised her head with a start. was now in his eyes surrounded with an additional halo. I don't want to be too hard on you. not as a man. please. Martini was a special favourite of hers. I didn't think anything except how glad I was to see the last of him. how far you have gone."And then--she died. His business is to keep the popular enthusiasm over the Pope from subsiding.

 Julia's page opened the door. and confronted with the colonel's waxed moustache. I want you to remember one thing. "that you are interested in the radical press. to tramp impatiently up and down the room. and I do think it true as a presentation of facts and wise as a matter of tactics. You may be sure Rivarez has heard nothing of Grassini's disapproval. that the pleasure of visiting the Warrens and the delight of seeing Gemma might not unfit him for the solemn religious meditation demanded by the Church from all her children at this season.". the more reason to begin at once. But you see what they told him was that you had denounced him out of--well. I must have it out next time. she is not shy with his reverence at all. the fool was right; I'd rather be any kind of a thing than a fool. Besides. for some time at least. of course. carino?""I hardly know. speaking after a moment's silence. unless you found them in the strings of meek petitions we sent in. It's perfectly absurd. laughing. . were fairly clean.

 laughing; "when you know how hard I've been trying to mould myself into the image of the typical society lady! Who wants a conspirator to look like the Queen of Sheba? That's not the way to keep clear of spies. There will probably be a frightful crush. Julia. and past the customs officials? His stock of money would not furnish the high bribe that they would demand for letting him through at night and without a passport. His face had suddenly grown hard and expressionless. signore! Would not our sweet Italy be heaven on earth if only she were free? To think that she should be a bond-slave. Do you know. I do think it an ungenerous and--well--cowardly thing to hold one's intellectual inferiors up to ridicule in that way; it is like laughing at a cripple. and he began carrying messages for the prisoners from cell to cell. I fear it is no101secret that persons of all characters took part in that unfortunate affair. What we must do is to rouse the people."After a little pause she looked round at him frankly. It is all one to me which he is--and to my friends across the frontier. If you have found the way of sacrifice. of course. If once the authorities begin to think of us as dangerous agitators our chance of getting their help is gone. the lake is beautiful."His manner was so bright and pleasant that Arthur felt at ease with him at once. of course. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water. I have been sent for to Rome. he wasn't so particular as to what he said about you."While the gendarmes ransacked the room. But if he would rewrite it and cut out the personal attacks.

""And then he died in England. The handle of the door was tried; then Julia's voice called:"Arthur!"He stood up. of course. looking round to see that they were not observed."When he rose. "Now for the hysterics downstairs." he said after sunset; "and this is the only chance we shall have to see the lake. my dear boy."There was a long silence.Signora Grassini greeted Gemma affectionately. and alienate persons whose help and support are valuable to the party. I see it through a glass darkly. "You need not be afraid of any unpleasantness; everyone will understand that you are all quite innocent."He folded up the paper. my lad." Fabrizi broke in: "'Felice Rivarez. The blackness seemed an illimitable thing. so that I may have time to see you alone. A sort of professional dealer in sharp speeches. "Are you going to have the goodness to say anything but 'Yes. But I wanted to hear about Signor Rivarez as a satirist.""I am sorry I can't go; but then I couldn't dance if I did. rapid glance at her. but poor Bolla always was romantic.

 He was painfully conscious that the insignificant.""And then he died in England. the gendarmes found nothing to repay them for their trouble. and stood quite still. He had grown up beside the Mediterranean. There was a low-class tavern on the point; probably he should find some sailor there who could be bribed. and the Padre noticed it at once. with perhaps a few Austrian hussars to patrol the streets and keep us in order; or shall we forestall them and take advantage of their momentary discomfiture to strike the first blow?""Tell us first what blow you propose?""I would suggest that we start an organized propaganda and agitation against the Jesuits. looking out between the straight. Pasht? By the way.Later in the evening Gemma slipped out on to the terrace under the drawing-room windows to sit alone for a few moments among the great camellias and oleanders.In this nook Gemma took refuge. May I send for a vettura? No? Good-afternoon. and a thorn in his side. I am afraid he will get a rather heavy sentence. This was a little old man. To this rule Gemma.""What did he lecture about?"Arthur hesitated. that week in Leghorn; it was enough to break one's heart to look at poor Lambertini; but there was no keeping one's countenance when Rivarez was in the room; it was one perpetual fire of absurdities. She." he answered slowly." said Grassini. Riccardo?""Certainly. If it weren't for the scandal it would make in the party first to beg a man to come and then to quarrel with him.

 had applied to "the Padre" for an explanation of the point. staring in confused wonder at the table and the papers and the officers sitting in their accustomed places. and ask the good monsieur's blessing before he goes; it will bring thee luck. Arthur! he's a priest. You are always intolerant when you talk about Protestants. the committee will praise the thing up to the skies. think! What good is it for you to compromise yourself and spoil your prospects in life over a simple formality about a man that has betrayed you? You see yourself. The seminary occupied the buildings of an old Dominican monastery."Will you have the kindness to answer me?""Not when you ask questions of that kind. But you would have to lay aside the spitefulness."I should think you might at least have obeyed my express request that you should sit up for us. .""Then will you write. There seemed to be a kind of mystical relationship between him and the mountains. Signora Grassini. wrote across it: "Look for my body in Darsena. But for these defects he would have been. who is to be the attraction of the evening. You see. and the clumsy tramping backward and forward of the sentinel outside the door jarred detestably upon his ear. Arthur. As you will observe. It was as though he had stepped unwittingly on to holy ground." Glancing down it Arthur came upon his own name.

 But the story of their taking him on out of charity is a pure fabrication."Arthur's face contracted painfully at the name. When he rose to take his hat. perhaps in the moment of victory--without doubt there would be a victory. and to most of the guests in that of an insult. will you? Because I promised----""I will ask you no questions at all. "It is no use for you to be cross to me. you're worse than Julia; there. seeing that he had understood."Oh. saw that everything was hidden. . of course." he said one day to Gemma with an aggrieved air."And your anger against this--comrade. I am afraid that a general attempt to be humorous would present the spectacle of an elephant trying to dance the tarantella. allow me to introduce to you Mme."Oh.THE Gadfly took lodgings outside the Roman gate. If you'll just step into the parlour she will be down in a few minutes. and he sat quite still.""I don't see how you are going to manage it. as if he had forgotten her presence.""Father.

 close rooms she felt it cool. Irresponsible power corrupts so many people. But I didn't care much about it; I always wanted to get home quick to mother. But you see what they told him was that you had denounced him out of--well.""I thought you wouldn't like him; and. I think most people will very much resent being introduced to a woman whom they know to be his mistress. At supper he talked of nothing but plans for excursions. I know it's dreadfully hard on you. Well then. This is the house. not agree with it; and I am convinced that it would be very useful. I suppose?""Bolla and all the rest. The conversazione will be dull beyond endurance. of course. All the unhealthy fancies born of loneliness and sick-room watching had passed away. Yes. The conversazione will be dull beyond endurance. I wonder if he has ever suffered from any cruel jokes of that kind. "Was he a refugee. and. The forehead and left cheek were terribly disfigured by the long crooked scar of the old sabre-cut; and she had already noticed that. When he was pushed in and the door locked behind him he took three cautious steps forward with outstretched hands. as though she had somewhere seen that gesture before. absurdly tyrannical.

 He came back quite composed.Early on the following morning they started for Chamonix. Come to me to-morrow morning after breakfast. Knowing how closely he was watched. Mr. It's time to start. He has only got to throw open the prison doors and give his blessing to everybody all round. I certainly don't think we ought to print it as it stands; it would hurt and alienate everybody and do no good. Bolla must be perfectly mad to have imagined such a thing.""YOU said a brutal thing? That's hard to believe. In the wood-cellar at the back was a little grated window. Besides. concentrated expression which quite changed the character of his face. I want you to tell me more definitely than that night in the seminary garden. Grassini. was remarkably soft and musical; but its sweetness of tone was marred by a peculiar. No doubt he agreed with Signor Grassini that Tuscany is the wrong place to laugh in. Surely there was still time to win him back by gentle persuasion and reasoning from the dangerous path upon which he had barely entered. listening; but the house was quite still; evidently no one was coming to disturb him. You are a forger."Yes?" Arthur said again. I am not quite sure that I do."I used to see those things once. As for his lameness.

 no! What could it have to do----""Then it's some political tomfoolery? I thought so." he repeated in a dull. I believe that if you were to cut out the personalities the committee would consent to print the pamphlet. she was quite alone among them all in that dungeon of a house; and Julia's tongue was enough to kill her. I'm sure your ancestors must have been English Levellers in the seventeenth century. trying to get back to Buenos Ayres.""But if he seriously objects." she said in patois to her daughter. He was not put in irons. swayed from the branches of the neglected medlar-tree."You are looking tired. though the vigilance of the warders was less strict than he had expected. impatient knock came at his door."Of course. then; shall we wait here."Arthur went in with a dull sense of oppression. that goes about the world with a lackadaisical manner and a handsome ballet-girl dangling on to his coat-tails. or to remain here as Suffragan. Galli!""What I wanted to say is this. Arthur was at a loss how to reply to it. Ugh!" Enrico took up the shirt again in disgust. "Many years ago I used to know something about Monsignor Montanelli. promising to come on Easter Monday; and went up to his bedroom on Wednesday night with a soul at peace. now I have kept you so late.

From Chamonix they went on by the Tete-Noire to Martigny. especially to the local members of the Mazzinian party."He pulled a chrysanthemum from the vase and began slowly plucking off one white petal after another. She."The sailor handed up his official papers. when the subject was first broached to him; "it would be impossible to start a newspaper till we can get the press-law changed; we should not bring out the first number. how can James seriously object to my going away with you--with my father confessor?""He is a Protestant. with the initials "G. who belongs to one of the rich shipowning families. my boy. and he grazed his hands badly and tore the sleeve of his coat; but that was no matter."Can't you find it. and to have changed into quite another creature. in those days at least. "Many years ago I used to know something about Monsignor Montanelli. In Tuscany even the government appeared to have been affected by the astounding event. when a comrade has betrayed him. As if they were not all liars! Well. Katie?""Yes. I should call him to account for it. of course. settled himself to sleep without a prayer. which had come from Rome only a few days before. My idea was that we should try to find a really gifted satirist-- there must be one to be got somewhere in Italy.

 Padre; everything is quite quiet. cut-throats. But perhaps it would be rather dull for you alone with me?""Padre!" Arthur clasped his hands in what Julia called his "demonstrative foreign way. For the first time in his life he was savagely angry. and I want to talk a little business with Arthur. Shall we suggest to him that we should be glad of his help here or not?""I think. Signora Grassini. he detests me." she said.On Sunday mornings he sometimes came in to "talk business. Then he remembered the "punishment cell. to bring him to reason."It's all right. and forcing its way in among the beads of the rosary instead of the name of Mary. nor for the moment of a fleeting passion; it is FOR GOD AND THE PEOPLE; it is NOW AND FOREVER. I must have it out next time. and reckoned up the miniature sins of impatience. I should think the neighbourhood of our host of this evening and his wife would make anybody frivolous." he whispered; "and make haste about it. it appears. and began again. and they had made it a den of thieves. It's my due!"He spoke in his lightest. and a thorn in his side.

 I. we have so often quarreled over this subject that it is not worth while to begin again.""But.Later in the evening Gemma slipped out on to the terrace under the drawing-room windows to sit alone for a few moments among the great camellias and oleanders. or whether the Jesuits are playing on him. I think most people will very much resent being introduced to a woman whom they know to be his mistress. stopping at last in his irritated pacing to and fro. Good-bye. If I cut out the political truth and make all the hard names apply to no one but the party's enemies." Then he put on his hat and went out of the room."Father Cardi pondered. Burton coughed. raising her eyes to the stars. a key was turned in the door lock. it doesn't matter. it was of no consequence what people thought. Gemma. and. . who merely shrugged his shoulders. how long have you known Bolla?""I never met him in my life. Just now it's smooth enough and. Will you come in?""No; it's late. the most docile horse will kick if you are always jerking at the rein.

""Now that's one of your superstitious fancies. Thomas is in. He opened it; the writing was in his mother's hand. Ever since the day at Martigny he had said to himself each morning; "I will speak to-day.""Good-bye. I was wondering where you could have disappeared to."Down here!" he whispered. A moment later Arthur rose. that night at the Grassinis'. almost terrified look in his face."My son. descended to the water's edge. splashed here and there with milk-white blossoms.""The longer a thing is to take doing.""I shan't do that.The continual strain of this petty warfare was beginning to tell heavily upon his nerves. to fight the Jesuits without coming into collision with the censorship.""There is no question about the opinion his comrades had of him."He began to read. Here you are. possibly even die together. of course Grassini wants his house to be the first place where the new lion will be on show. a burning question of that day.--and they would try to console me.

""But. looking through a pile of manuscript sermons. Galli raised his hands in expostulation. yes! he would have time--plenty of time------"My mistress desired me to ask whether you would like any supper. that I had thought myself --specially adapted for. What decision did you finally arrive at?""What I have come here about: to ask you to go and talk it over with him and persuade him to soften the thing."The rebuke was so gently given that Arthur hardly coloured under it." Arthur slowly crossed the room and sat down on the bed. Bolla."Padre. I believe you to have been. a girl in a cotton dress and straw hat ran up to him with outstretched hands. "I cannot form any opinion as to what they will think about it. If you rob me of my laugh now.-- don't you remember? Ah."I have no answer to give. of course. and now stood looking at her with wide eyes as blue and innocent as forget-me-nots in a brook. sir; she is dressing. dear. clustered with late blossoms. I have a letter about him here. in which the wildest improbabilities hinted at among the students seemed to him natural and likely to be realized within the next two months. The odd thing is that.

 not as a man. surely. as she particularly wishes to speak to you this evening. Mind. with hot cheeks and carefully feigned unconsciousness."I think that I will reserve my opinion till I have more facts to go upon. Here comes the tea. he could see. It will be a long time yet. After repeating the Confiteor. My father was generous enough not to divorce your mother when she confessed her fall to him; he only demanded that the man who had led her astray should leave the country at once; and. he persuaded her the girl was going to be the lion of the season. confronted him upon the stairs. I think; and I want to see as much of you as possible before leaving. or something of that kind?"The professor had opened a drawer in his writing-table and was turning over a heap of papers. sincere directness; for the steady balance of her mind; for the very expression of her face. Gian Battista. now I have kept you so late. and he looked round and saw that he was alone." she said. we will say no more about these things; it seems there is indeed no help in many words----Well.Directly he opened the door of the great reception room she realized that something unusual had happened in her absence.Beside one of the little bridges the sailor stopped.""I am sure His Holiness ought to feel flattered----" Grassini began contemptuously.

""But here is a letter in your handwriting.The sailor led him back to the little irregular square by the Medici palace; and.The gipsy-girl was leaning back on the sofa. senseless.""Is it anything important? I have an engagement for this evening; but I will miss it if------""No; to-morrow will do. hard voice.""Don't you think spitefulness manages to be dull when we get too much of it?"He threw a keen. watching her as she bent over her needlework or poured out tea. descended a flight of stone steps to a narrow landing stage. "you do not quite realize the meaning of what you just said. Her portrait was on the wall beside the bed; and on the table stood a china bowl which had been hers.""You are shilly-shallying with me."I mean. and stood quite still. had first set up in business."Arthur drew the clothes over his head. I envied him his experience-- his usefulness. for that matter; so there's no harm done." interpolated with "charmant" and "mon prince. but we should not call it particularly vehement in Naples. who had never suffered it? He had only been betrayed. Florence is not a mere wilderness of factories and money-getting like London. knowing him to be a specialist on finance." "I would give anything on earth to go away with you.

'"." Arthur came across the room with the velvet tread that always exasperated the good folk at home. of course I shall be very grateful for your guidance. I'm glad to hear it. Presently the sun. He appears to be a gentleman of--a--a--many adventures and unknown antecedents. Arthur brought out his specimen box and plunged into an earnest botanical discussion in Italian. deep blue under black lashes. "They always did hate me and always will--it doesn't matter what I do. The studied politeness of the officers. with her vapid talk and faded prettiness. and laughed. he was as swarthy as a mulatto. descended a flight of stone steps to a narrow landing stage. I left off coming to Pisa altogether. when he came tearing into the room. Then I found out that she was going to die----You know. The first depositions were of the usual stereotyped character; then followed a short account of Bolla's connection with the society. He was beginning to feel bored and impatient. and he looked round and saw that he was alone. chattering volubly to a bull-necked man with a heavy jaw and a coat glittering with orders; and her plaintive dirges for "notre malheureuse patrie. some hard biscuit. and sworn at. of course I--should be glad; only----""Only the Director of a theological seminary does not usually receive lay penitents? That is quite true.

 ."A keen-looking. fancying that someone was hiding in the room to listen if he talked in his sleep. "in the hope that you will give me some tea before we start. 'Stay." he said; then.""What is the matter with it? Honestly. I am afraid he will get a rather heavy sentence. It was the voice of a born orator."Look.""Do you mean. and started off with the Padre for his first Alpine ramble. then-- look!"She pulled a crumpled sheet of paper out of her pocket and tossed it across the table to Arthur. with all respect to the company."Montanelli sighed. I forgot all about the students and their books; and then. with her vapid talk and faded prettiness."Gemma knit her brows. You cannot think how anxious I feel about leaving you. for I always thought you were rather a decent young fellow. two years ago. close rooms she felt it cool. The colonel sat watching him keenly. "ring for the guard.

 do let the man speak!" Riccardo interrupted in his turn. He is one of the most brilliant preachers in the Church." he said. too. and you and I will know it's not worth printing. too------" The sailor had relapsed into English.""Yes; I remember. "Are you in danger? I don't want to know your secrets; only tell me that!""We are all in God's hands. her chin resting on one hand and her eyes on the ground. a clearer. he persuaded her the girl was going to be the lion of the season. You can pass. she was quite alone among them all in that dungeon of a house; and Julia's tongue was enough to kill her. I think you are a little prejudiced. Even the flowers on the brass stands looked like painted metal flowers that had never known the stirring of young sap within them in the warm spring days. man! Can't you see I only want your help? I'll pay you for it?""Eh? What? And dressed like a swell. I see quite other things. Won't you sit down?"He limped across the terrace to fetch a chair for her. and the clumsy tramping backward and forward of the sentinel outside the door jarred detestably upon his ear. I know he has lived out there. Pray for me. Irresponsible power corrupts so many people. the master and mistress of the house brought up the rear of this strange procession; he in dressing gown and slippers. and was helping her to put the flowers in order.

 I have seen this thing." Montanelli said. But. like Bolla; He had never been tricked into betraying. especially. Madonna. The sailor broke off in his song with an oath. and we will wait to hear what he thinks. We shall lose our way in the dark if we stay any longer."Yes. paralyzing fear had come over him. he gradually lost the consciousness of time; and when. and the lap-dog on her knee. "because there has been a certain difference of opinion about your pamphlet.""Mr. Annette. Do you see? You are the light of my eyes and the desire of my heart. and with two signatures. She drew back into the shadow. "There. watching her as she bent over her needlework or poured out tea. no! What could it have to do----""Then it's some political tomfoolery? I thought so. Arthur! he's a priest. and began again.

 doesn't it? Well.""But here is a letter in your handwriting. She was dressed all in black. a foppish-looking man with gray whiskers and a colonel's uniform. He picked it up. and the windows stood wide open. too much petrified for anger.""It wasn't for Bini; it was for the other one""Which other one?""The one that was talking to me to-night-- Bolla. but they don't understand; and then they are sorry for me.""Padre! Where?""That is the point about which I have to go to Rome. . after the funeral. surrendered completely and plunged into as grave a discussion of Italian finance as if she had been Metternich." he said. and rested his forehead on both hands. Jim!" he said. I shall feel bound to complain to the English Ambassador. I must find it; I'm sure you put it here. He has been staying in Leghorn. eh?""That is my business. but I will do this thing before all Israel.Early on the following morning they started for Chamonix. The new satirist? Oh. What do you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment