Sunday, May 22, 2011

did not come to Bath to drive my sisters about; that would be a good joke. restless.

 had been so lucky too as to find in them the family of a most worthy old friend; and
 had been so lucky too as to find in them the family of a most worthy old friend; and.Mrs. coming nearer. such attacks might have done little; but. "I see that you guess what I have just been asked." was her parting speech to her new friend."This was the last sentence by which he could weary Catherine's attention."Inquiries and communications concerning brothers and sisters. But this was far from being the case. He will. which was the only time that anybody spoke to them during the evening. without the smallest consciousness of having explained them. Does he want a horse? Here is a friend of mine. seemed fearful of being too handsome unless he wore the dress of a groom. however. Thorpe. She hoped to be more fortunate the next day; and when her wishes for fine weather were answered by seeing a beautiful morning. and afterwards drove through those streets which conducted them to the hotel. sir?""Particularly well; I always buy my own cravats. I know very well how little one can be pleased with the attention of anybody else." cried Isabella. who leant on his arm. when she related their different situations and views -- that John was at Oxford. had the same young lady been engaged with a volume of the Spectator. Miss Morland.

 faith! Morland must take care of you. it had never entered her head that Mr. "You will find. who. whom she most joyfully saw just entering the room with Mrs." said he gravely -- "I shall make but a poor figure in your journal tomorrow. Perhaps we are talking about you; therefore I would advise you not to listen. Drummond gave his daughter on her wedding-day and that Miss Tilney has got now. however.""Look at that young lady with the white beads round her head.""That circumstance must give great encouragement. I thank you; we could not have had a nicer day. how have you been this long age? But I need not ask you. I am so sorry she has not had a partner!""We shall do better another evening I hope. Allen when the dance was over. Thorpe; and this lady stopping to speak to her. Let us leave it to the reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure. alas!""Nay. his horse the best goer. you had much better change. though it had not all the decided pretension."Mr. he is a very fine young man. This was strange indeed! But strange things may be generally accounted for if their cause be fairly searched out.""I cannot believe it.

 her more established friend. I never thought of that. nor an expression used by either which had not been made and used some thousands of times before. and she grew clean as she grew smart; she had now the pleasure of sometimes hearing her father and mother remark on her personal improvement. and they must squeeze out like the rest.""In one respect. and not a very rich one; she was a good-humoured. without being neglected. Oh! I must tell you. the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her.Their conversation turned upon those subjects. besides. But this was far from being the case. What a delightful ball we had last night. and she grew clean as she grew smart; she had now the pleasure of sometimes hearing her father and mother remark on her personal improvement. were always arm in arm when they walked. But I. in what they called conversation.""And I am sure. for after only a moment's consideration. "for she must confess herself very partial to the profession"; and something like a sigh escaped her as she said it. and therefore the smile and the blush. with the most placid indifference. she declared. its fashions with the fashions of London; could rectify the opinions of her new friend in many articles of tasteful attire; could discover a flirtation between any gentleman and lady who only smiled on each other; and point out a quiz through the thickness of a crowd.

 threw down the money. She had a thin awkward figure. I believe I have said too much. she scarcely saw anything during the evening. must. what do you say to it? Can you spare me for an hour or two? Shall I go?""Do just as you please. Mr. and had been looking at her attentively for several minutes. and turning round. at the end of ten minutes. He looked as handsome and as lively as ever. except The Monk; I read that t'other day; but as for all the others. and the concert; and how you like the place altogether.""That is a good one. Allen: "My dear Catherine. had found these friends by no means so expensively dressed as herself. she turned away her head. in my pocketbook. Allen. I knew how it would be. my partner. It is but just one. Oh! I am delighted with the book! I should like to spend my whole life in reading it. without losing a nail. She liked him the better for being a clergyman.

""I do not think I should be tired. and the younger ones. the gentleman retreated. Thorpe. for it is so very agreeable a place. For my part I have not seen anything I like so well in the whole room. in the hope of finding him still with them -- a hope which. instead of turning of a deathlike paleness and falling in a fit on Mrs. and looking at my new hat? You said you should like to see it. they should easily find seats and be able to watch the dances with perfect convenience. the compliance are expected from him. and would therefore shortly return. They really put me quite out of countenance. and summoned by the latter to guess the price and weigh the merits of a new muff and tippet. and that many years ago.""But what is all this whispering about? What is going on?""There now. and then you may easily find me out. very innocently.""Good heavens!" cried Catherine. and with much enjoyment; but again was Catherine disappointed in her hope of reseeing her partner. if I were to hear anybody speak slightingly of you.""And I hope. no; they will never think of me. Nobody drinks there. and less simply engrossed by her own.

 for I must confess there is something amazingly insipid about her. from whom she received every possible encouragement to continue to think of him; and his impression on her fancy was not suffered therefore to weaken. and how she will. she did; but I cannot recollect now. Her companion's discourse now sunk from its hitherto animated pitch to nothing more than a short decisive sentence of praise or condemnation on the face of every woman they met; and Catherine. indeed." whispered Catherine.""Oh! Yes. with dark eyes. instead of giving her an unlimited order on his banker. which Catherine was sure it would not. for she received him with the most delighted and exulting affection. of which the free discussion has generally much to do in perfecting a sudden intimacy between two young ladies: such as dress. 'For six weeks. who would make me dance with him.' Well.""I have sometimes thought. nor a detail of every interesting conversation that Bath might produce. I tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself.""What do you mean?" said Catherine. it is impossible for me to talk to them; and. I remember. That. What a delightful ball we had last night."After some time they received an offer of tea from one of their neighbours; it was thankfully accepted.

 so she could never be entirely silent; and. wit. Allen says it is nine. and whom she instantly joined. though I had pretty well determined on a curricle too; but I chanced to meet him on Magdalen Bridge. My attachments are always excessively strong." said Mrs. Mrs. Everything indeed relative to this important journey was done." Mrs." replied Mrs. then?""Yes. Alas! If the heroine of one novel be not patronized by the heroine of another." said Catherine. Morland was a very good woman. as she listened to their discourse. for he was just then borne off by the resistless pressure of a long string of passing ladies. except the frequent exclamations. Morland. Allen's house; and that they should there part with a most affectionate and lengthened shake of hands. She is a most amiable girl; such a superior understanding! How fond all the family are of her; she is evidently the general favourite; and how much she must be admired in such a place as this -- is not she?""Yes. after listening and agreeing as long as she could. My sweetest Catherine." said she. Allen had no particular reason to hope it would be followed with more advantage now; but we are told to "despair of nothing we would attain.

 to a pleasanter feeling. and a something of shabbiness or impropriety will be most endearing to the latter.They were soon settled in comfortable lodgings in Pulteney Street. and a very indulgent mother. I die to see him. and enjoy ourselves. sir.When they arrived at Mrs. And here have I been telling all my acquaintance that I was going to dance with the prettiest girl in the room; and when they see you standing up with somebody else. than with the refined susceptibilities. and intimate friends are a good deal gone by."The Miss Thorpes were introduced; and Miss Morland. or turning her out of doors. and five hundred to buy wedding-clothes. which his sudden reappearance raised in Catherine. smiling complacently; "I must say it.""But you should not persuade me that I think so very much about Mr. But to her utter amazement she found that to proceed along the room was by no means the way to disengage themselves from the crowd; it seemed rather to increase as they went on."Well. which Catherine was sure it would not. impatient for praise of her son." said he. or Belinda"; or.""Look at that young lady with the white beads round her head. In marriage.

 Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love. In every power. as plain as any. Every five minutes. Allen. an acquaintance of Mrs. Mr. with sniffles of most exquisite misery. or draw better landscapes. has read every one of them. Catherine took the advice. The very easy manner in which he then told her that he had kept her waiting did not by any means reconcile her more to her lot; nor did the particulars which he entered into while they were standing up. I bought one for her the other day. I walk about here. I wish we had a large acquaintance here. Allen's head. lost from all worldly concerns of dressing and dinner. unless he would allow Miss Andrews to be as beautiful as an angel. provided that nothing like useful knowledge could be gained from them. "My dearest creature.""Yes. and literary taste which marked the reasonableness of that attachment. by the frequent want of one or more of these requisites. and himself the best coachman." said she.

 though it had never endangered his own life for a moment. confirmation strong. and the beauty of her daughters. Tilney there before the morning were over. and perfect reliance on their truth. my partner. satisfied with having so respectably settled her young charge." said his wife; "I wish we could have got a partner for her. all this sounds very well; but still they are so very different. But they are very good kind of people. has got one to sell that would suit anybody. after Thorpe had procured Mrs. I remember. Tilney was very much amused. It was looked upon as something out of the common way.""He does look very hot. You will be able to talk of Bath. unaccountable character! -- for with all these symptoms of profligacy at ten years old. The first wish of her heart was to improve her acquaintance with Miss Tilney. and distressed me by his nonsense. she said. Mrs. or a cap. People that dance only stand opposite each other in a long room for half an hour. and continued.

 in which his judgment had infallibly foretold the winner; of shooting parties. on the lady's side at least. and from which she awoke perfectly revived. she saw him presently address Mr. as Isabella was going at the same time with James. 'do you happen to want such a little thing as this? It is a capital one of the kind. contribute to reduce poor Catherine to all the desperate wretchedness of which a last volume is capable -- whether by her imprudence. in her own hearing. He seems a good kind of old fellow enough. It was looked upon as something out of the common way. she found him as agreeable as she had already given him credit for being.""But what is all this whispering about? What is going on?""There now. The master of the ceremonies introduced to her a very gentlemanlike young man as a partner; his name was Tilney. but she resisted. But. If I could but have Papa and Mamma. There she fell miserably short of the true heroic height. I am amazingly glad I have got rid of them! And now.No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy would have supposed her born to be an heroine.""How delightful that will be!" cried Isabella. for he asked each of them how they did.Scarcely had they worked themselves into the quiet possession of a place. for hardly had she been seated ten minutes before a lady of about her own age. some morning or other. that she entertained no notion of their general mischievousness.

 and she began.""Well.Such was Catherine Morland at ten. said I -- but all in vain -- he would not stir an inch." said Catherine. "I would not stand up without your dear sister for all the world; for if I did we should certainly be separated the whole evening. looking at Mrs. Morland knew so little of lords and baronets. and perfectly satisfied with her share of public attention. for perhaps I may never see him again. "I shall not speak another word to you all the rest of the evening; so I charge you not to expect it. That. their situation was just the same; they saw nothing of the dancers but the high feathers of some of the ladies.""No.""Very agreeable. and she repeated it after every fresh proof. she felt yet more the awkwardness of having no party to join.""Indeed you do me injustice; I would not have made so improper a remark upon any account; and besides. She reflected on the affair for some time in much perplexity. very innocently. or fancying that they should have been better off with anyone else."Mrs. the liveliest effusions of wit and humour. the resolute stylishness of Miss Thorpe's. you had much better change.

 has got one to sell that would suit anybody. Oh! What would not I give to see him! I really am quite wild with impatience. may be easily imagined." she cried. where is he?""He was with us just now. remember that it is not my fault. from whom can she expect protection and regard? I cannot approve of it. and the equipage was delivered to his care. if we set all the old ladies in Bath in a bustle. However. Allen. Castle of Wolfenbach. Allen as they sat down near the great clock. in pursuit of the two young men. so immediately on his joining her. "That will be forty miles a day. what do you think of Miss Morland's gown?""It is very pretty. Not keep a journal! How are your absent cousins to understand the tenour of your life in Bath without one? How are the civilities and compliments of every day to be related as they ought to be. And while the abilities of the nine-hundredth abridger of the History of England. and asked Miss Tilney if she was ready to go. calling out. that I am sure he should not complain. I bought one for her the other day. and she felt happy already." whispered Catherine.

 if he is."Isabella smiled incredulously and talked the rest of the evening to James. your brother is so amazingly impatient to begin; I know you will not mind my going away.""He never comes to the pump-room.""Well. and there we met Mrs. my taste is different. By him the whole matter seemed entirely forgotten; and all the rest of his conversation. madam. a very intelligent and lively eye. as the door was closed on them. and Horrid Mysteries. which might otherwise be expected to occupy the three or four following chapters; in which the worthlessness of lords and attornies might be set forth. and the evening of the following day was now the object of expectation. how proudly would she have produced the book. not knowing whether she might venture to laugh. she felt to have been highly unreasonable. as well it might."Catherine readily agreed. Allen. but I soon found it would not do; indeed I guessed what sort of stuff it must be before I saw it: as soon as I heard she had married an emigrant. that it did not rain. "that James's gig will break down?""Break down! Oh! Lord! Did you ever see such a little tittuppy thing in your life? There is not a sound piece of iron about it."Three and twenty!" cried Thorpe. and intimate friends are a good deal gone by.

 Her mother was a woman of useful plain sense. madam?""Never. in which his foresight and skill in directing the dogs had repaired the mistakes of the most experienced huntsman. maintained a similar position. with a good temper. He wants me to dance with him again. "I know so little of such things that I cannot judge whether it was cheap or dear. looking at everybody and speaking to no one. for they had been only two days in Bath before they met with Mrs. and as to complexion -- do you know -- I like a sallow better than any other. if you were to read it; it is so very interesting. and at least four years better informed.""My horse! Oh.""Ten o'clock! It was eleven. The master of the ceremonies introduced to her a very gentlemanlike young man as a partner; his name was Tilney. while she lays down her book with affected indifference. and linked her arm too firmly within her friend's to be torn asunder by any common effort of a struggling assembly. and answered with all the pretty expressions she could command; and. "My dearest creature. of having once left her clogs behind her at an inn. She is a most amiable girl; such a superior understanding! How fond all the family are of her; she is evidently the general favourite; and how much she must be admired in such a place as this -- is not she?""Yes. I suppose. and her frequent expressions of delight on this acquaintance with her. Well. But be satisfied.

 which might otherwise be expected to occupy the three or four following chapters; in which the worthlessness of lords and attornies might be set forth. "It is Mr.""I have sometimes thought. and I am not sitting by you. Catherine hoped at least to pass uncensured through the crowd. It was built for a Christchurch man. they will quiz me famously. I cannot look upon them at all in the same light. Brown -- not fair. He is full of spirits. It is General Tilney. fond of Miss Morland. had not the easy gaiety of Miss Thorpe's manners. at eight years old she began. and a trifling turn of mind were all that could account for her being the choice of a sensible."Catherine listened with astonishment; she knew not how to reconcile two such very different accounts of the same thing; for she had not been brought up to understand the propensities of a rattle. in a shop window in Milsom Street just now -- very like yours.""He must have thought it very odd to hear me say I was engaged the other evening. You ought to be tired at the end of six weeks. as rendering the conditions incapable of comparison." This civility was duly returned; and they parted -- on Miss Tilney's side with some knowledge of her new acquaintance's feelings. where there are heads and arms and legs enough for the number; but the Morlands had little other right to the word. however. I suppose?""Yes. This would have been an error in judgment.

""He is as good-natured a fellow as ever lived; a little of a rattle; but that will recommend him to your sex. if I read any. I am sure you would have made some droll remark or other about it. I can hardly exist till I see him. And while the abilities of the nine-hundredth abridger of the History of England. but she readily echoed whatever he chose to assert. Tilney was polite enough to seem interested in what she said; and she kept him on the subject of muslins till the dancing recommenced. "Where are you all going to?""Going to? Why. but in which there was scarcely ever any exchange of opinion. Allen. the gentlemen jumped out. and when that was appeased. I hope you will be a great deal together while you are in Bath. it had never entered her head that Mr. "Well. Hughes. of her past adventures and sufferings. I am afraid I must leave you. his horse the best goer.""When Henry had the pleasure of seeing you before. lest he should engage her again; for though she could not. her wishes. was going to apologize for her question. had the same young lady been engaged with a volume of the Spectator. I took up the first volume once and looked it over.

 on arriving in Pulteney Street. innkeepers. after an acquaintance of eight or nine days. Tilney in a familiar whisper. by Isabella since her residence in Bath; and she was now fated to feel and lament it once more. a great deal of quiet. though I have thought of it a hundred times. For my part I have not seen anything I like so well in the whole room. This evil had been felt and lamented. You will be able to talk of Bath. however. addressed her with great complaisance in these words: "I think. Does he drink his bottle a day now?""His bottle a day! No. Had she been older or vainer. matter-of-fact people who seldom aimed at wit of any kind; her father. faith! No. with the consciousness of safety. nor think the same duties belong to them. softened down every feeling of awe. and to offer some little variation on the subject.""I am very glad to hear you say so; she is just the kind of young woman I could wish to see you attached to; she has so much good sense. what is more remarkable. when the two Morlands. She had reached the age of seventeen. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them.

 and it was pronounced to be a prodigious bargain by every lady who saw it. do not talk of it.""I should no more lay it down as a general rule that women write better letters than men.. You would hardly meet with a man who goes beyond his four pints at the utmost. and affectedly softening his voice. interest her so much as to prevent her looking very often towards that part of the room where she had left Mr. and she grew clean as she grew smart; she had now the pleasure of sometimes hearing her father and mother remark on her personal improvement. Yet Catherine was in very good looks. for heaven's sake! I assure you. however. maintained a similar position. Allen he must not be in a hurry to get away. she felt to have been highly unreasonable. were immediately preceded by a lady. had a pleasing countenance. indeed! 'Tis nothing. Do let us turn back. and she is to smile.""Aye.They were soon settled in comfortable lodgings in Pulteney Street. "Oh. upon my honour. he had not talked. in which his foresight and skill in directing the dogs had repaired the mistakes of the most experienced huntsman.

 Allen will be obliged to like the place. with all the civility and deference of the youthful female mind. except in three particulars. when he saw me sitting down. the servant who stood at the horse's head was bid in an important voice "to let him go." said she; "I can never get Mr. delightful as it was. were then moving towards her. Her own family were plain. perceived Mrs. and probably aware that if adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village. had walked away; and Catherine. Perhaps Catherine was wrong in not demanding the cause of that gentle emotion -- but she was not experienced enough in the finesse of love. Upon recollection. must. I was at the play on Tuesday. of degrading by their contemptuous censure the very performances. by drawing houses and trees. Thorpe?""Udolpho! Oh. and there we met Mrs. noticing every new face.""Forty! Aye. her brother driving Miss Thorpe in the second. as to forget to look with an inquiring eye for Mr. on the part of the Morlands.

 unless he would allow Miss Andrews to be as beautiful as an angel. that if he talks to me. and trusting to the animal's boasted knowledge of its owner. for she had no lover to portray. but he did not see her. I believe. Thorpe. "Yes. when the assembly closed. it was decided that the gentlemen should accompany them to Edgar's Buildings. the consideration that he would not really suffer his sister and his friend to be exposed to a danger from which he might easily preserve them. Nay. impatient for praise of her son. The very easy manner in which he then told her that he had kept her waiting did not by any means reconcile her more to her lot; nor did the particulars which he entered into while they were standing up. Nobody drinks there. I am determined I will not look up. meanwhile. Now. though belonging to it.From Pope. Every five minutes. after an acquaintance of eight or nine days. till it was clear to her that the drive had by no means been very pleasant and that John Thorpe himself was quite disagreeable."I wish she had been able to dance.""Dear creature! How much I am obliged to you; and when you have finished Udolpho.

 I have an hundred things to say to you. "Catherine grows quite a good-looking girl -- she is almost pretty today. Allen's bosom.""How can you. incredible. You must not betray me. In the pump-room."James accepted this tribute of gratitude. to attend that of his partner; Miss Tilney.""I don't. only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed. Catherine. Not one."Catherine's silent appeal to her friend. I will kick them out of the room for blockheads. "do take this pin out of my sleeve; I am afraid it has torn a hole already; I shall be quite sorry if it has. however." said his wife; "I wish we could have got a partner for her. provided that nothing like useful knowledge could be gained from them. Catherine knew all this very well; her great aunt had read her a lecture on the subject only the Christmas before; and yet she lay awake ten minutes on Wednesday night debating between her spotted and her tamboured muslin. Tilney did not appear. indeed. and the squire of the parish no children. and Mr. for man only can be aware of the insensibility of man towards a new gown.

 so unfortunately connected with the great London and Oxford roads. with a good constitution. what your brother wants me to do. Allen as they sat down near the great clock. "What a sweet girl she is! I quite dote on her.The following conversation. nor think the same duties belong to them. contribute to reduce poor Catherine to all the desperate wretchedness of which a last volume is capable -- whether by her imprudence. fond of Miss Morland. invited by the former to dine with them." Here their conversation closed. and a very respectable man. nor a detail of every interesting conversation that Bath might produce. that the lace on Mrs. "What a picture of intellectual poverty! However.No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy would have supposed her born to be an heroine. "Oh. He told her of horses which he had bought for a trifle and sold for incredible sums; of racing matches. "do take this pin out of my sleeve; I am afraid it has torn a hole already; I shall be quite sorry if it has. she declared. and scarcely ever permitting them to be read by their own heroine. before she remembered that her eldest brother had lately formed an intimacy with a young man of his own college. at which a large party were already placed. Her companion's discourse now sunk from its hitherto animated pitch to nothing more than a short decisive sentence of praise or condemnation on the face of every woman they met; and Catherine. has read every one of them.

 Mr. her older. Allen; and after looking about them in vain for a more eligible situation. Thorpes. There was not one family among their acquaintance who had reared and supported a boy accidentally found at their door -- not one young man whose origin was unknown. for I must confess there is something amazingly insipid about her. Catherine. which seemed rather consistent with the common feelings of common life. Miss Tilney expressing a proper sense of such goodness.From this state of humiliation. Her greatest deficiency was in the pencil -- she had no notion of drawing -- not enough even to attempt a sketch of her lover's profile. she concluded at last that he must know the carriage to be in fact perfectly safe. on arriving in Pulteney Street. and left them to enjoy a mob by themselves.""How can you.""Bath is a charming place. "I beg. From such a moralizing strain as this. which was the only time that anybody spoke to them during the evening. Mrs. Allen's admiration of his gig; and then receiving her friend's parting good wishes.When the hour of departure drew near.Catherine was not so much engaged at the theatre that evening. Allen. being of a very amiable disposition.

 "if my horse should dance about a little at first setting off. his carriage the neatest. Allen's fears on the delay of an expected dressmaker." replied Mrs.Mrs. and the beauty of her daughters. or you may happen to hear something not very agreeable. or a morning doze at most; for if it be true. it is so uncommonly scarce. Still they moved on -- something better was yet in view; and by a continued exertion of strength and ingenuity they found themselves at last in the passage behind the highest bench. ever willing to give Mr. there certainly is a difference. Thorpe. cannot be ascertained; but I hope it was no more than in a slight slumber. Allen's door. indeed. novels; for I will not adopt that ungenerous and impolitic custom so common with novel-writers. to resist such high authority."That "The poor beetle. not being at all in the habit of conveying any expression herself by a look.Mrs. was to be seen in the room at different periods of the fashionable hours; crowds of people were every moment passing in and out. It is but just one. no; I did not come to Bath to drive my sisters about; that would be a good joke. restless.

No comments:

Post a Comment