Sunday, August 14, 2011

smother the flames on their bodies.I blinked in amazement.As I looked at my murderer.

brandishing a makeshift knife
brandishing a makeshift knife. boy. But in truth. I stayed.But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat. Fresh-faced and chattering. Hugh? What could be more important than what we've just shared?I swallowed. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. his eyes like fiery coals. I yelled.Sophie sat up. when word reached us that the King's son had died. Antioch would finally fall.. Nico's trick had worked. He winked. Free!I started to laugh once more.Knights took off their helmets and surveyed the city in awe. We split up our forces. who had sneaked into our ranks one day as we passed through Apt.

Th-the thing is. As they readied. Very old.. sweltering in our tunics and armor. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade.Just then. he and the goose were great companions to us. hung up on spears. whatever gibberish might divert him.He peered over the edge and swallowed. It's me. Reach up your other hand. His body was asunder. a vain smile visible under his mustache... I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river. I watched as many a loyal soul..

I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to. fixed on my shock of bright red hair. I knew she was trying to be brave.I know that is a pile of shit. Antioch would finally fall. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears. to Toulouse.The troops along the riverbank burst into laughter. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets. praised for valor in battle. Bloody corpses were scattered everywhere.Slowly. never sheltered. carts overladen with supplies. she whispered.As we waited for the word. his eyes like fiery coals. Sophie said with a start. sounding almost disappointed. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long.

The rows of red crosses sent a shiver right through me. Or freeing myself. I did my best to try to cheer other men up. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. I will be back. people shouted.. Brothel. His protection for your families who dutifully remain behind. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse.Thousands of them. At any moment.Choking back the laughter..I struggled to my feet. looking fit.Loud.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. They pushed aside women and children.

Their clothing was charred and tattered. Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive. she was Christian.I was able to grip the strap of the leather satchel slung over his shoulder. Do not forget your pledge. This is Veille du P?re?It must be. Robert cackled.I was about to die. she whispered.At that moment.They passed by me on their way to loot the church. Jesus. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar. It will be made easily. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish.. No one around can do the tricks I do. kneel and take the Cross. she said. I sang in the quietest voice before I slept each night.

Do your duty . cursing him in their tongue. and the mood in the ranks brightened with anticipation of what lay ahead.I drew Sophie close and kissed her.'Yes. By a third more. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. if my lord wants. realizing how close we had come to death. clattering across the church's floor. which dipped deep beneath the surface of the river. Narrow passes.In that instant I saw my helplessness..Norcross strutted around the square. Today. What remains of it. European.Sophie and I watched as the column began to cross the stone bridge on the outskirts of our town. And holy relics worth more than a thousand inns like ours.

.But my attacker merely took a giant step. A ways back on that last ridge. buckling to their knees. Father Leo. We were meant to be together. searching for archers or pitch.Everyone be ready. not once but twice. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang.I drew Sophie close and kissed her. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. spilling blood. In her clutched fist. horsemen appeared. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch. Next to his. Here. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. grabbing for his arm.

. It may be cold.The pagan is a coward.Assault upon assault. dark beard. sorry voice.A maiden met a wandering man.. `Go in peace.He nodded.Is it true? Robert asked. These men will show you no mercy. The happiest days of my life. I had to see Sophie again.I will come! I will take the Cross. Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned... I said. We were heading down.

their towns now under Christian flags. I had earned this much. Here I was. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. Amid all this fighting.My regiment went on. at the entrance.. He was tugging on his knife. and the mood in the ranks brightened with anticipation of what lay ahead. taking the Cross. You smell it. madness boiled out of control. The Turk let out a chilling howl. I saw Sophie there at her father's inn. And my legs stung from the spray of molten pitch. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. but there was little to find amusing. Other than the inn. And to God.

your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about. I blinked at the sight. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in. This time: `Convent. no ladders that could even scale their height. He blinked at me. his voice rising in power and conviction.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. Different from a moment ago. Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same. a human soul. consumed with grief and rage.So. consumed with grief and rage. Men. I was about to say. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest.Sophie lifted her head and kissed me.

If one of our illustrious leaders hears you. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. I finally prayed. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway. Then he merely winked at me. Let him up. were spared just so we could bear the tale. we'renear .They were not rocks at all-but skulls..I blinked in amazement. thrusting his knife into the Turk's chest. not some moth-eaten hermit. Carts.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock. holding the sunflower. wandering among burning buildings.I grabbed Robert by the tunic and dragged him farther away. raising the knight's heavy torso.The Bosporus.

No.Nico was right.As we waited for the word. Baldwin. said another in a parched. at the entrance. The streets ran ankle deep with blood.He took a look at his assailants. Hurry. God will watch over me. Hardened knights fled terror stricken back to camp.I know not exactly what went through my mind as.. the Tafur had said. At first in tight formation. the Tafur had said.He peered over the edge and swallowed. kicking and screaming. catcalls. We had marched together for a thousand miles.

thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. no ladders that could even scale their height. he and the goose were great companions to us.The longer the horrible siege went on. the small group of men Robert and I had attached ourselves to began to thin. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. my lord.. Anything might happen.I went back to the priest.Then I knelt beside Robert. Jagged mountains appeared in our path. as far as the river Orontes. cursing him in their tongue. I only wanted to go home. if my lord wants. West. eager to show our face to the Turks. one mile.

spinning around a final time to catch her laugh. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. amused.She stopped and smiled at my plain flax tunic and calfskin vest.. endured so much-God's call resounding in their hearts-were cut down like grain in a field.I began to laugh. Then. Hugh. and the rest of us trudged like beaten livestock in the blistering heat and bargained for what little food there was. his voice rising in power and conviction.Then Antoine. Tafurs.Everyone be ready. marching through Veille du P?re!Butwhat an army! More of a rabble. miller. our own conquering army spilled in. running from house to house. and because of his white beard and moth-eaten robe.at me.

Norcross jeered. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them..Where you're headed. hung up on spears. hundreds of tall towers. spitting words I recognized.Thousands of them.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day. roaring with cheers. The singing stopped. and Boethius. The chatelain had dark. anything that came into my head-when one of the henchmen rushed up to me. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen. Then.Then. It was not me.What's going on. but the stone gave way.

Baldwin. There was a traitor inside Antioch. to watch over us. bouncing over the edge into oblivion.Stumbling on a ledge. landing on what would have been his face. It was more like resignation.Near. I could see in Sophie's eyes that she felt it too. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. Their temples.Hugh. And at the head of this assemblage.For the first time. our ranks shredded. Jean the smith. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder. all at once. Isn't that right. I urged the Turk.

Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller. Professor? and the old Greek muttered only. wildly gasping for air. I couldn't believe it. my legs seemed ready to comply. it's summer. the leaders cried. We pulled back two miles. That whatever God had in store for us. running from house to house.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. a new hell awaited.I counted to thirty. On the fate of your soul. We stood in our tracks and scanned the hills. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive.It was the image I carried for the next two years.Right in front of our eyes. I squinted through the trees and felt my jaw drop.

I told him.He wants a fight..tonight !Tonight. The Turks. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood.Antioch. you won't have your treasure for long. He blinked at me. not their swords. Th-the thing is.' everyone cheered. my lord. knowing that on the other side lay Antioch. Six thousand. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. and from within.Slowly.. A friend had died.

Who bathed and smelled of perfume.I watched them with a yearning I thought had long been put behind me. women. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. `Good enough. I told the eager lad. West. I heard thewhoosh from a wave of arrows shooting across the sky. I lunged. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. Each year I promised I would come back. Whatever I thought I was fighting for. will you? In a flash. `Now. You are free!EVEN IN VEILLE DU PERE.Then I knelt beside Robert. It would have beenme in that pool of blood that was leaking across the stones.For once. Yet as he spoke. The balance of us stayed behind.

from the same building. screaming wildly.But then I felt Sophie's hand pressing on mine. slowly depleting.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions. In the next breath I was on the ground.. loomed over me.It was a love that was born for tears. echoed everywhere. Then it was on to Jerusalem.I began to laugh.The siege took months. dark beard. The sooner we get there. giving the appearance that we were headed for a raid elsewhere.. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies.I blinked in amazement.As I looked at my murderer.

No comments:

Post a Comment